Xone DX vs S2?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Xone DX vs S2?

Tech Guru

Default Xone DX vs S2?

For a first controller I'm looking at both of these. Hopefully would be able to pick up a DX second hand but in good cond. for a similar price to a brand new S2. So aside from the fact that one wouldn't be brand new what's the comparison like for these two?

The jogwheels of the DX put me off slightly, with their size (why didn't A&H just make the thing a bit bigger and have bigger jogs/buttons?) and the fact they're not touch sensitive, however I'm not entirely sure what the 'touch sensitive-ness' affects?

Traktor vs Serato? I really like the look of Traktor Pro, is it possible to use it with the DX? I hear the effects on Traktor are much better? I don't think Serato allows for album art?

Build quality. The DX really looks the part, professional and quality like you'd expect from A&H. How does the S2 compare in this regard?

4 channels. Obviously a benefit, but as a beginner is this necessary (I can't afford an S4)?

I assume both can be used with a 2.1 speaker setup?

Anything else people can add?
    Last edited by KS2; 02-14-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Tech Mentor

Get the S2

Tech Guru

Why say you sir?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Why say you sir?
    Basically the DX has been Discontinued by A&H

to answer some of your questions

The Jogs on the DX are a joke no scratching ect the s2 jogs are like mini cdj jogs good for scratching and pitch bend.

Both can be used with Traktor only the DX is native to Itch the plus with using the DX with Traktor is you can do 4 decks but again the jogs mind you that is no problem for some

You can download a demo of Traktor to test out from the NI website

Yep Traktor in my opinion is better def with the effects itch aint half bad to personal pref tbh Itch does allow album art as well

Dx with itch = 4 decks limited effects shit jogs plus you can use with Traktor to

S2 is a 2 deck controller but have read there are 4 deck mapping floating round the net

S2 with Traktor = 2- 4 decks / samples mad effects ect

To me esp as your a beginner go with the S2 its more like a traditional 2 decks and mixer set up more fun

S2>dx

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    Basically the DX has been Discontinued by A&H

to answer some of your questions

The Jogs on the DX are a joke no scratching ect the s2 jogs are like mini cdj jogs good for scratching and pitch bend.

Both can be used with Traktor only the DX is native to Itch the plus with using the DX with Traktor is you can do 4 decks but again the jogs mind you that is no problem for some

You can download a demo of Traktor to test out from the NI website

Yep Traktor in my opinion is better def with the effects itch aint half bad to personal pref tbh Itch does allow album art as well

Dx with itch = 4 decks limited effects shit jogs plus you can use with Traktor to

S2 is a 2 deck controller but have read there are 4 deck mapping floating round the net

S2 with Traktor = 2- 4 decks / samples mad effects ect

To me esp as your a beginner go with the S2 its more like a traditional 2 decks and mixer set up more fun
    +1

The S2 works with Traktor like you wouldn't believe. Definitely my pick.

Tech Wizard

The Xone: DX looks more professional than the S2 but i think u can be more creative and have a lot of fun on the S2!

In a few years if u think the S2 is to small for your controllerism skills, think about to add an X1 or in future a F1 (or if u like A&H a Xone:K2)
    MacBook Pro 2.5GHZ 667MHZ 4GB RAM - Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk1 / X1 Mk1 /F1 / Maschine / Audio 8

Soundcloud
    Facebook

Tech Guru

Cheers for the input fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mert View Post
    The Xone: DX looks more professional than the S2 but i think u can be more creative and have a lot of fun on the S2!
    I think it's the more professional look/feel that's drawing towards the DX. BUT saying that I obviously wouldn't stump for it for that reason alone.

If I can use the DX with Traktor would that not mean the effects are as good as the S2?

After the comments I'm definitely swaying back to the S2 but there's something about A&H!

Quote Originally Posted by KS2 View Post
    Cheers for the input fellas.

I think it's the more professional look/feel that's drawing towards the DX. BUT saying that I obviously wouldn't stump for it for that reason alone.

If I can use the DX with Traktor would that not mean the effects are as good as the S2?

After the comments I'm definitely swaying back to the S2 but there's something about A&H!

Effects will be the same, but it's worth to consider that the DX is a fairly old controller, and it will struggle to keep up with more modern controllers such as the S2.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

If you are wanting to scratch sty away from the AH.. I like my DX, but i got a killer deal on it and actually like using it. I have never touched an S2 but as a former S4 owner the build and sound quality was all in the DX's corner.

FX don't change with controllers. Traktor has the same effects wether your using a keyboard and mouse or a controller.

The S2 was built by NI for their software so obviously right out of the box it is going to be integrated nicely and work without any mapping needed..

Try them both out if you can, thats the only real way to know what you will like better.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast