Coming back to DJ'ing after a few years need advice on new set up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Coming back to DJ'ing after a few years need advice on new set up

Hey,

Just as the title said, I was a begining bedroom dj a few years back and have a little experience, using 1200's, a laptop, mixer and back then Torq software.
    I have been reading through the forums for days now as I have decided to come back to the hobby that I love and be an active part of it rather than sit on the sidelines.

So here is my basic idea on how I would like to set up and wondering if you guys and girls could give me some helpful advice along the way, thanks in advance.

I am thinking about going back to a pair of 1210's MK5's, going to buy a new mac book pro, and thinking about using Traktor Pro 2 software with the KONTROL X1, also need a little advice on a decent mixer not over say $500 for the mixer to start off. Also anyone have good advice on a decent set of headphones?

what kind of music do you play and whats your budget for headphones?

You'll need traktor scratch pro and soundcard package btw. look into it.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...scratch-pro-2/

2nd hand 1200 mkIIs would save you some cash to spend on other bits (you will need it when RGAS hits)
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

If i was in your position i would look into the pioneer DJM T1 mixer it includes traktor scratch software and the build in audiocard is certified. You won't need the kontrol X1 because all the controls are available on the mixer and you don't need to invest in traktor scratch pro and a native audio card. It had a nice price drop from 1800 dollars to a 1000 dollars.

You would just need two turntables and you are good to go, Buy the kontrol F1 when it's coming out and you're done.
    http://soundcloud.com/thom-b/
    2011-04-14-the-corners-of-my

KONTROL S8, 2x KONTROL D2, XONE DB4, traktor audio 10, kontrol x1, pioneer hdj 2000, software traktor scratch pro 2 & ableton suite 9

How many channels are you looking for in a mixer? Plan on adding extra decks or inputs down the road?

As for the Technics, I think you'll be able to pick up a used pair of M3D's for almost the same price as what many on CL are selling MK2's. There's a couple pairs for $600-$700 right now around the bay area. M3D's are nearly exactly the same as MK5's in specs. That'd save you some extra cash to put towards an Audio 6, 8, or 10 + software.

Wouldn't hurt to put up a wanted ad in the buy/sell section of the forum for a NI interface and a license key for scratch pro(4 decks) or scratch duo 2 (2 decks). You can usually find a deal.

As for headphones I'd recommend Sennheiser's HD25-1 ii. Amazing sound and isolation. Different in style & fit than traditional DJ headphones, but you get used to them pretty fast. I don't think I'll use anything else again...until m3's come out lol.

Solid set up though. I'm running Scratch Duo 2 with one Technics mk5, X1, DJM 909, Audio 6, and my macbook pro. I've been sitting on some money waiting for another deal on a mk5 on CL....but I think I'm just gonna pick up an m3d in the next couple days.

Tech Student

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your responses and advice....

To "jimbrowski00" I play mostly Electro, Dance, Trance and House. My budget for headphones would be about $200 - $300.

To "MaxOne" Thanks for the heads up on the correct Traktor package, as I mentioned before I am learning this all over again so your help is appreciated, also could you tell me what "RGAS" is ?

To "souldancer" Thank you I will look into that mixer as well, I had heard that certain mixers have these software packages pre installed in them like some of the Rayne mixers also but was not sure how there exactly work or if they were better than the whole package you can buy from say Serato or Traktor.

To "EssBee" Thanks also for your info, I am probably looking for 4 Channels I might be adding more than just my two decks in the future like a pair of CDJs possibly down the line. Also what exactly is the Audio 6,8 or 10? I have been trying to reference everything you guys talk about on Google but it seems better to hear it from the people that use it themselves. I will also look into those headphones you mentioned.

If anyone has anymore helpful comments or Ideas for me I would appreciate it, I am in no rush to get everything together however I am going to start making some purchases soon, so I would like to have a decent set up that can grow with me and be able to do what I need.

Thanks!

With a list like that it seems you've got the money, so why not just go buy/by the "industry standard". Mixer and a pair of CDJ's? Do you really want to go digital?
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Student

Hi there DarioJ,

Well all my experience has only been with Turntables in the past, I have read a lot about Dj's using CDJ's a lot now but Im still not sure they are right for me, I may add a pair of them after I get my initial set up going. If your familiar with the CDJ's or you use them please tell me the pro's to con's of using them over other types of set ups.

Thanks!

Okay... for headphones I would look at the TMA-1, Senheiser HD25-1 II or HDJ-2000's.

As mentioned, to use a Digital Vinyl System (DVS) you are going to need a compatible soundcard for most mixers.

The two most popular routes are Serato and Traktor and there are various arguments for going with either route.

Rane makes a few mixers that have a Serato soundcard built in and there are others from various manufacturers that have the Native Instruments Traktor sound card built in. But I would probably advise going with an external soundcard so you can choose any mixer you like.

Rane has the SL 2, SL 3 and SL 4 soundcards for Serato and Native Instruments has the Audio 4, Audio 6, Audio 8 and Audio 10 soundcards that work with Traktor Scratch.

Now for Traktor there are two version of they're DVS software. "PRO" has support for 4 decks and "Duo" only supports two and has less effects.

So for advice on which mixer you should get... I don't know lol. I only pay attention to two channel mixers and I think you are going to want a four channel.

Quote Originally Posted by DJayW View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all your responses and advice....

To "jimbrowski00" I play mostly Electro, Dance, Trance and House. My budget for headphones would be about $200 - $300.

To "MaxOne" Thanks for the heads up on the correct Traktor package, as I mentioned before I am learning this all over again so your help is appreciated, also could you tell me what "RGAS" is ?

To "souldancer" Thank you I will look into that mixer as well, I had heard that certain mixers have these software packages pre installed in them like some of the Rayne mixers also but was not sure how there exactly work or if they were better than the whole package you can buy from say Serato or Traktor.

To "EssBee" Thanks also for your info, I am probably looking for 4 Channels I might be adding more than just my two decks in the future like a pair of CDJs possibly down the line. Also what exactly is the Audio 6,8 or 10? I have been trying to reference everything you guys talk about on Google but it seems better to hear it from the people that use it themselves. I will also look into those headphones you mentioned.

If anyone has anymore helpful comments or Ideas for me I would appreciate it, I am in no rush to get everything together however I am going to start making some purchases soon, so I would like to have a decent set up that can grow with me and be able to do what I need.

Thanks!

Tech Guru

I would save 100 bucks on the headphones and get V-Moda CrossFades. I used to have HDJ-2000's and the difference is not worth the price. It's not much of a difference at all.

Then, if you're a electro/house DJ I'd use the extra hundred bucks and get a Xone 42. I used to have one of those as well and ran TT 1200's, with an Audio 8 and X1 and it sounded awesome. I'd consider a 4 channel mixer if I were you since Traktor has the sample decks you will want to route to them.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast