First Mix

Thread: First Mix

Tech Wizard

Default First Mix

Looking for some constructive criticism here. Feel free to tell me I am doing something right too.

TRACK LIST

Do It On My Own
    Buy
    By Craig David & Remady

Blessed (Avicii Radio Edit)
    Buy
    By Shermanology, Tom Hangs

Why
    By Bumpers

Metrum
    Buy
    By Fedde Le Grand

Where You Wanna Go
    Buy
    By J-Son; Mischa Daniels

The Moment “Steve Angello” Remix
    Buy
    By Tim Mason

Angels (Love Is The Answer)
    Buy
    By Morandi

We Are All Dancing (Peter Luts Remix]
    By Yoav

Together Again
    Buy
    By Mike Candys

Love For You
    Buy
    By Jack Holiday
    Last edited by Phaided; 02-17-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Forgot Track list

Tech Wizard

No love?

I don't care if what you say is terrible. I just need to find a way to get feed back? Do I need to start offering payment for people to listen to my mix and critique me? lol

Isn't it funny how when you least want an opinion you get it but when you actually want everyone's ideas and input you can't get it?

I can hear that it needs some fine tuning and a nudge here or there maybe some more creativity tossed in. But I am trying to hammer out the basics here. Beat matching and finding the right points to mix in and out of.

Tech Wizard

Do you guys just not like the picture? haha

A tracklist might encourage some people to take a look..
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Guru

Mixcloud has embeded tracklists

Its important remember that everyone on here posts there mixes/tracks wanting feedback so theres alot to go through
    Listening now

Tech Guru

First transition seemed strange, try to avoid taking the mixing out track before the other track is ready to take over, also the transition seemed it was done in a strange place..didnt flow well. The tracks would make a good transition though if done correctly.

Second transition, seemed like it was done in an awkward place again. Generally people mix from drop of track A into breakdown of track B, or breakdown of track A into breakdown of track B (you can get creative with this stuff) but I would avoid mixing after the drop of track A into what seems to be the drop of track B

Third transition, again try to avoid taking the mixing out track until the other track is ready to take over.

Fourth transition, was ok but couldve been better. The track seems random and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the tracklist. If you were doing more of an open format mix I'd understand

Fifth transition, way too long and those two tracks dont go well together.

Sixth transition, feels like the track came into fast and at the wrong time. If track A currently has no beat and track B does..its probably not a good idea to mix from track A into track B. Also track seems kinda random again, but thats just me.

Seventh transition, perfect

Eight transition, almost had clashing vocals..which is pretty much always bad. Besides that the transition had potential.

Ninth transition, had potential and could've been better..but was pretty good nonetheless.

Some nice tracks in there, but if you're aiming for an open format mix try to incorporate more of other genres. There was a few tracks that seemed random. If youre aiming for a house mix then stick with house (specifically commercial house because more underground stuff won't go very well with more commercial stuff)

As for finding right points to mix and mix out at: remember music goes in eights so you can count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ,8 (or to 4 which is what I do but thats just personal preference). The "1" would be the first beat, which youll be able to identify easily eventually if you continue with djing. Pretty much though you want the 1st beat of track A and the 1st beat of track B to start at the same time, and then the 2nd beats play at the same time and so on. 4 beats = a bar. For example, in electronic music youll have 32 bars for an intro on track B and track A after the drop you have another 32 bars. If you begin track B right on the drop of track A then you just have to beatmatch, maybe do some EQing, begin the transition at the right time and then take out the mixing out track. Usually once a track is ready to be taken out I cut it out at the right time.

Youll pick up on some stuff as you mix some more, remember to practice!! Also remember when you post a mix, that many ppl post mixes and tracks on here so theres alot to go through so sometimes stuff falls to the bottom of the forum and nobody sees it.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by losxc451 View Post
    First transition seemed strange, try to avoid taking the mixing out track before the other track is ready to take over, also the transition seemed it was done in a strange place..didnt flow well. The tracks would make a good transition though if done correctly.

Second transition, seemed like it was done in an awkward place again. Generally people mix from drop of track A into breakdown of track B, or breakdown of track A into breakdown of track B (you can get creative with this stuff) but I would avoid mixing after the drop of track A into what seems to be the drop of track B

Third transition, again try to avoid taking the mixing out track until the other track is ready to take over.

Fourth transition, was ok but couldve been better. The track seems random and doesn't really fit in with the rest of the tracklist. If you were doing more of an open format mix I'd understand

Fifth transition, way too long and those two tracks dont go well together.

Sixth transition, feels like the track came into fast and at the wrong time. If track A currently has no beat and track B does..its probably not a good idea to mix from track A into track B. Also track seems kinda random again, but thats just me.

Seventh transition, perfect

Eight transition, almost had clashing vocals..which is pretty much always bad. Besides that the transition had potential.

Ninth transition, had potential and could've been better..but was pretty good nonetheless.

Some nice tracks in there, but if you're aiming for an open format mix try to incorporate more of other genres. There was a few tracks that seemed random. If youre aiming for a house mix then stick with house (specifically commercial house because more underground stuff won't go very well with more commercial stuff)

As for finding right points to mix and mix out at: remember music goes in eights so you can count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ,8 (or to 4 which is what I do but thats just personal preference). The "1" would be the first beat, which youll be able to identify easily eventually if you continue with djing. Pretty much though you want the 1st beat of track A and the 1st beat of track B to start at the same time, and then the 2nd beats play at the same time and so on. 4 beats = a bar. For example, in electronic music youll have 32 bars for an intro on track B and track A after the drop you have another 32 bars. If you begin track B right on the drop of track A then you just have to beatmatch, maybe do some EQing, begin the transition at the right time and then take out the mixing out track. Usually once a track is ready to be taken out I cut it out at the right time.

Youll pick up on some stuff as you mix some more, remember to practice!! Also remember when you post a mix, that many ppl post mixes and tracks on here so theres alot to go through so sometimes stuff falls to the bottom of the forum and nobody sees it.
    Thank you so much for the input. I have just been going at it for a few months now and I guess just really wanting to get some feedback on what to do and how to do it right. I have been watching videos and reading a couple books but I have learned that nothing beats just sitting at my NS6 and going at it for hours. I do know that things slip through that is kind of why I made the comment I did. Not that my mix is more important than any one else's and we all know now most likely not better. Your input I can ride for some time now and make some improvements. Thanks again.