I'm the mini fan master ;)
    Tech Mentor

Default I'm the mini fan master ;)

My mobile firewire hardrive and laptop both get pretty hot when i'm using them with Traktor for long periods.

Does anyone think if i got a couple of these can work???

http://www.paramountzone.com/cooler-mini-fan.htm

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...roduct_id=2819

I use that for the "hot" gigs. It stays on my uberstand surprisingly well! (I always thugh it'd just slide right off. hah)
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

My 2 cents' worth: you already have a fan or two blowing out of your laptop. A cooler pad that blows into it doesn't help nearly as much as one that draws air down from it. Not to mention being side ported to vent the hot air to either side. If you are outside it also prevents dust from being blown into your laptop.

A gap between your laptop and the pad or table can be just as effective as a cooler, so some adhesive fold-down feet aren't a bad idea either.
    Steve Boyett
    Podcasts: Groovelectric | Podrunner | Podrunner: Intervals
    Traktor user

It's all fluid mechanics. The aluminum acts as a sync for the heat and keeps "underneith" the laptop air from heating up. The fans (which yes are blowing up, but your laptop is SUCKING air from the bottom not blowing air to the bottom) help push more air in between your laptop and the cooling pad. basically you don't want your laptop flat on a cooling pad, since you want it to still push air. so that pad is designed with a certain style slant that allows some air passage.

Air pulling DOWN from your laptop will only reduce the amount of airflow in your laptop and cause more heating problems than it fixes.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

My experience under some extreme conditions is somewhat at variance with that. But if it works for you, by all means go with it.
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

air <--------- laptop <------ air <------ laptop stand <------ air
    (this is the airflow of mine and a typical setup)

air <--------- laptop <------ air ------> laptop stand ------> air
    (This is the airflow you propose)

My concern here is that there is a limited amount of volume of air that can be present inbetween the laptop and laptop stand. The only advantage this poses is if the ENVIRONMENT is causing more heat issues than the laptop itself.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

I'm not proposing it, I'm using it. Besides any regular hot bar/club/party situations, it's gotten me through two years of 115-degree heat, direct sunlight, and electronics-destroying alkaline dust at Burning Man.

I'm not telling anyone what to do; I showed what works for me. Y'all do what you want.
    Steve Boyett
    Traktor user

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett View Post
    I'm not telling anyone what to do; I showed what works for me. Y'all do what you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by steveboyett
    you already have a fan or two blowing out of your laptop. A cooler pad that blows into it doesn't help nearly as much as one that draws air down from it.
    :eek:
    I was just pointing out the flaw in that concept. It would be my advice to someone trying to create optimal airflow to not have two oppositional forces.

As i said however, if you problem is environmental and the heat of the laptop is fine on it's own, the oppositional force is probably an advantage.

But in this situation the OP suggests that it's an internal heat issue, not an external heat issue. As a result I would suggest using something that's going to improve and increase airflow into the laptop. Any solution will surely help, but as I said, you want to increase airflow inside the laptop rather than outside, if that's where your problem is coming from.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!

Tech Mentor

I bought these babys last night

http://www.laptoplifts.com/