crappy USB ports on laptops

Default crappy USB ports on laptops

Hi,

I was just wondering how most of you handle the problem with bad connecting USB ports on laptops.

I myself have a Dell Studio XPS 1340. It's a good machine and was a high end model when I bought it. But I didn't really pay attention to the USB ports. Mine only has two, one is a normal powered USB port and the other one is a hybrid USB/eSATA.

The problem I have is that both provide too much space for the USB plugs. So a little movement or shake makes you disrupt the connection between your controller and your laptop. And we all know how bad things go when this happens.

So, I guess I'm not the only one having this problem and would like to know how others have resolved this.

Thanks for your input!
    www.mixcloud.com/soundthriller
    http://djpod.com/soundthriller
    Dell Studio XPS 1340 core2duo P9600//Vestax VCI-400//Novation Nocturn//Novation Launchpad//Traktor Pro 2.6.1//Ableton Live 8.2.2

Tech Convert

So this has been a problem since you purchased the laptop? It was designed with too much space, correct?

Or has it become loose overtime?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I had the same issue with both my VERY old usb hub and one of my macbook USB connections..

Solved - Squashed the flat ends of the usb cable a little so it holds more firmly on the hub - this did not solve the macbook side of things though, contact was being broken.

On the Macbook I raised the gold connectors inside a little by using a pin to pry under them about 1-1.5mm this could be kinda DANGEROUS !

Quote Originally Posted by treehopr View Post
    So this has been a problem since you purchased the laptop? It was designed with too much space, correct?

Or has it become loose overtime?
    It actually has become loose overtime. I'll check if I still have warranty. Took the Dell 4 years on site warranty. Maybe they'll change it.
    Dell Studio XPS 1340 core2duo P9600//Vestax VCI-400//Novation Nocturn//Novation Launchpad//Traktor Pro 2.6.1//Ableton Live 8.2.2

The pro solution is tape:

There is so much gaff tape on my production rig it's not even funny. I have USB hubs taped to table legs, power cords taped to USB hubs, cables taped to everything in sight……mostly it's just USB shit. I've never had such issues with FW cables or any kind of pro connection (XLR, D-Sub, SCSI etc.), but USB wasn't really designed for the type of shit people do with it today.

I'm hoping for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    The pro solution is tape:

There is so much gaff tape on my production rig it's not even funny. I have USB hubs taped to table legs, power cords taped to USB hubs, cables taped to everything in sight……mostly it's just USB shit. I've never had such issues with FW cables or any kind of pro connection (XLR, D-Sub, SCSI etc.), but USB wasn't really designed for the type of shit people do with it today.

I'm hoping for an update.
    I love the days when there was only D-Sub. Great connection and two screws to make sure nothing gets loose. They should come up with a USB Pro connection, something with clips or screws to secure the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Agastya View Post
    I love the days when there was only D-Sub. Great connection and two screws to make sure nothing gets loose. They should come up with a USB Pro connection, something with clips or screws to secure the connection.
    Yeah…

Well…D-sub is still around.

(the most popular studio audio interface in the world)

(analog IO module for A&H GS-R24M)

(a collection of IO modules for the Apogee Symphony I/O)

Need I go on?

They're really common in the studio world because they're so insanely convenient and take up no room…they rarely get yanked…and they come in everything from 9 to something like 80-pins. And any idiot who's ever used a soldering iron or cable crimp can make/fix them.

Heck, I'd settle for a port replicator on a 40-something pin D-Sub connector so I didn't have to plug/un-plug things so often…just that one cable that I could fix instead of a bunch of jacks that might only be replaceable by getting a new logic board.

Stupid consumers.

Then again, it's really the marketing whizes that makes shit like this harder. Which makes more sense? A cable that's fixable, that's big enough to be labeled, that can or can't get yanked out depending on what you decide is more important, and can go to anything. Or making it small. With 2 equally popular standards that ensure you'll never have the exact cable you need.

Also, side note…that Sasha picture I posted might be my favorite DJ picture. I'm not selling my turntables again, But I want that exact setup (well…not the mixer…been there, done that, wanted something else).

Too bad those connectors are only on high end studio equipment. However, there are some A-Field USB connectors like these:

But it will require modifying your current equipment and laptop.