Midi mapping - How do you turn on a button at the top of a knob or slider? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Which virtual midi port should I use? The one built into Bomes Pro or Midi Yoke?

What kind of things can you do with MidiOX (which I am assuming is multi virtual ports)?

I really like the idea of being able to take total control of my midi control surfaces and I really would like to play around with this in depth to get everything working the way I want - as in lights flashing when a loop is active to just name one thing in addition to having knobs and sliders activate different buttons when they are in the fully on position.

The problem with Traktor Pro is that you only have 9 modifiers and I have already used them all. I need more control!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Well, keep in mind, with Traktor Pro you have 9 Modifiers with 9 different values and can use two at a time. So, realistically you have almost 5000 combinations (I think, could be more, could be less). I wouldn't recommend this cause the coding gets so overwhelming, but it's still there.

What you're talking about can be done in Traktor with Bomes. I forgot that Bomes not comes with built in ports, so you can use those. I have Yoke set up.

MIDI Ox can be used to re-route your MIDI assignments, as well as to monitor your MIDI messages and what they look like.

It's really good for troubleshooting, to see what your coding looks like in the end.

The rerouting screen is in Bomes as well, so really, I just use MIDI-Ox to monitor when things start going haywire.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

sooooooo, can one of you post up an example of coding Bomes to output a note at the 127 position on the knob with the rule that it is off when < 127?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

(i'm doing this without Bomes in front of me, but I think I got it)

Translator 1
    Incoming: 90 xx pp (replace xx with the note)
    Rules
    If pp=127 then g0=1
    If pp!= 127 then g0=0
    Outgoing: 90 xx pp

Translator 2
    Incoming 90 xx pp
    Rules:
    if g0=1 then exit rules, execute outgoing action
    if g0!=1 then exit rules, skip outgoing action
    Outgoing: 90 yy 7F (replace yy with the button note)

Translator 3
    Incoming 90 xx pp
    Rules
    if g1=0 exit rules, execute outgoing action
    if g1!=0 exit rules, skip outgoing action
    Outgoing: 90 yy 00

I think that should do it.

I'm sure Bento can do it better, though. And once again, Bomes isn't in front of me so if this blows up your computer I accept no responsibility
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Wizard

i'll give this a try when I get home from work tonight and let you know how good your instructions are or how bad I am at following them.

Thanks!

Tech Wizard

Hey, I may seem quiet new to the forums but I've been a quiet reader for a long time.

So, first of all, you neither need Bomes nor a special firmware. It can all be done with the tools you got in Traktor!
    Also, there is no need for modifiers in this case.

You have to do the following:

1. Create your mapping as desired (e.g. FX knob or something)
    2. Now, look for the function you want to be activated when the knob gets turned to 100 % (e.g. turn on effects button 2). Now, you don't choose "Button", but "Rotary encoder" - you have to experiment which works best for you, though.
    3. Map this function to the same knob you've mapped the FX knob to
    4. The tricky part: find out at which sensivity the button gets turned on as you move your knob. You have to experiment with both values in order to get the result you want to! It's easy to experiment in greater steps first and then use smaller ones as you get closer to the result desired. Sometimes you also have to use the "Inverse" function.

Hope you could understand it; it's actually quiet easy, just requires some patience.
    You can get even get freaky and map several buttons to one knob...
    Last edited by Tobert; 04-20-2009 at 06:03 PM.

The way Dvls has it setup it will be spamming unnessisary amounts of midi messages - this isnt a good habit to get into because of the ammount of bandwidth we have to work with in midi is already so small.

The solution...

Translator 1
    Incoming:
    90 xx pp (replace xx with the note)

Rules:
    If pp=127 then goto label "on"
    if pp<127 then goto label "off"
    Label "On"
    g0=1
    exit rules execute outgoing action
    Label "Off"

Outgoing:
    90 xx pp

Translator 2

Incoming:
    90 xx pp (same incomming as on Translator 1)

Rules:
    if g0=0 then exit rules, do not execute outgoing action
    if g0=1 then goto label on
    if g0=2 then goto label off
    Label "On"
    pp = 127
    g0 = 2
    Label "Off"
    pp = 0
    g0 = 0

Outgoing:
    90 yy 7F (replace yy with the button note)

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Tobert View Post
    Hey, I may seem quiet new to the forums but I've been a quiet reader for a long time.

So, first of all, you neither need Bomes nor a special firmware. It can all be done with the tools you got in Traktor!
    Also, there is no need for modifiers in this case.

You have to do the following:

1. Create your mapping as desired (e.g. FX knob or something)
    2. Now, look for the function you want to be activated when the knob gets turned to 100 % (e.g. turn on effects button 2). Now, you don't choose "Button", but "Rotary encoder" - you have to experiment which works best for you, though.
    3. Map this function to the same knob you've mapped the FX knob to
    4. The tricky part: find out at which sensivity the button gets turned on as you move your knob. You have to experiment with both values in order to get the result you want to! It's easy to experiment in greater steps first and then use smaller ones as you get closer to the result desired. Sometimes you also have to use the "Inverse" function.

Hope you could understand it; it's actually quiet easy, just requires some patience.
    You can get even get freaky and map several buttons to one knob...
    Dude, I just messed around with this for abot a half hour (and have before also), and the only thing I can get working is to get the button to turn on at the 1/2 way point, CONSISTENTLY, no matter if I choose rotary, jog, or relative fader options. I tried different combinations of sensitivity and acceleration as well as the invert checkbox.

I wish it was this easy.

If you have exact settings on this working CONSISTENTLY when the knob is at 100% it turns on a button and when you back the knob off from there it turns off that button, then please share it with us.

I'd appreciate it!
    Last edited by JCribb; 04-20-2009 at 06:44 PM.

Tech Wizard

deleted
    Last edited by JCribb; 04-20-2009 at 08:34 PM.

Tech Wizard

That works Bento!

Thanks man.

Great Forum here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast