advantages of external mixer over s4?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default advantages of external mixer over s4?

I have an s4 but have been reading around about what other equipment is out there. some people have been saying that they prefer an external mixer vs a controller or use their controller with an external mixer. is there a reason for this?

i'm trying to put together an ideal setup using up the least amount of space as possible. would an external mixer with say an x1 and maschine be more versitile than an s4? i want more control of effects outside of traktor

Tech Mentor

I've wondered this same question as well for a while now...only benefits I see are that you can use all of the mixers functions as they were originally intended + probably better sound quality depending on the mixer. Though it's a hell of a lot more expensive since you need like a traktor 6 or 10 to go along with it, hard to tell if it's worth it.

Tech Mentor

is there anyway to connect a s4 to a mixer?
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Havik View Post
    To do what?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You could use the Master & Headphone as external outputs and route them to a mixer ... I know better than to ask why :P

Tech Mentor

Right booths in clubs can be tight for space its easier to turn up with say an x1 or two and an audio 10 / 8 / 4 whatever and plug straight into the install mixer taking an s4 out can be a prob because of size.

There is that and also the sound of the mixer some people like their xones some peeps like their ranes others their pioneers. you cant beat analog sound imho that and an ext mixer gives you more head room / better eq in the mix

The s4 is a 4 channel midi mock up of a cdj / mixer setup in miniature practical purpose being plug the master out into a channel in the house mixer of a club at home again is a cdj/ mixer mock up plug into your monitors ect

I would say if you have the s4 your cool stick with that buy an x1 if you want more control then maybe buy an audio 10 /8/4 so then you have options

then again fuck all that and just buy a xone Db4 and get ableton

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

then again fuck all that and just buy a xone Db4 and get ableton
    And 2x K2's

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rt24 View Post
    probably better sound quality depending on the mixer.
    can you provide any evidence that supports this statement?

---

my 2c. in difference to setups centered around an all-in-one controller, setups with external mixers are modular (you can also get a mixer-segment only controller but those are pretty rare).

moreover, some mixers may be superior when it comes to feel and ergonomics. i would argue that's not a principal advantage. in terms of the technology used, a digital mixer is equivalent to a controller + audio interface + computer. it's merely all in one unit, whereas with a controller setup, the computer (and sometimes the audio interface as well) is a separate device. the controller market basically tops out at the $1000 price point (roughly speaking, everything about $1k or so is basically a boutique item). for mixers, it's different: many mainstream mixers run well above $1k. maybe, that means there's more money that can be spent on ergonomic design or knobs and faders with better "feel."

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Havik View Post
    yes. ldo
    Last edited by rgtb; 02-16-2012 at 07:59 AM.

Well, apart from the already mentioned advantages concerning booth space (and stuff you have to carry to/from the gig) and ergonomics, for me having proper VU meters is a big point - I don't trust Traktor's autogain one single bit.

Another advantage is of course to have the possibility to use outboard equipment (turntables, grooveboxes, blablabla) without needing a computer connected.

Edit: And of course if you plan to organize parties with different DJs at one point or another, there is no way around a real mixer
    Last edited by 3heads; 02-16-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

i find it all comes down to ur individual style and feels right.... ive been a long time vinyl junkie that moved onto scratch live when it was still v1.0 and ive seen alot of technology chnages in dj'n over the years.... the s4 is a nice bit of kit... but it doesnt fulfill MY needs... which might be different to yours and everyone elses... lately ive added the dicers (for sum eay turntablist style routines and mixes ive been doing... and the akai lpd8 for sample triggering and effects control for the top 40ish/edm/ stuff im sumtimes asked to do... but in the end its what feels right and works for you... but if you want to get really technical... nothing beats the sound or level of control of eq's and gains than an external mixer

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast