Question about traktor pro 2 and upgrading to lion - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    FWIW Carbon Copy failed me 3 times. I know people that swear by it so im not bashing it but, I have never heard anyone complain about Time Machine.
    It just works.
    I've had Time Machine fail repeatedly, and I kind of think it's a horribly designed system. I still use it, but mostly only as a short-term thing. It does not work at all if you're using File Vault for any user, and there are other settings that will screw up the backup. Plus, I hate how it notifies you that the drive's full and deletes your oldest backups so late. I've resorted to using dd to back up my time machine drives into sparse bundle disk images on my archive drive…and just wiping them periodically and starting over…which is annoying as shit, because then you can't use migration assistant or restore to bring it back to where it was before the last time you did that. At least, not easily.

I also hate the concept. I don't care what a folder looked like on a specific day. I want to see every version of every file that's ever been in a folder…not all the ways a folder looked. Fuck that. It's useless.

I think Time Machine is complete crap if it's your only backup. The only way I'd use it alone would be on like an 8TB RAID5 that's mirrored off site, just so it'd be a long time 'till I had to worry about it deleting my backups without really warning me. I really don't trust it.

Fortunately, it's a front end for rsync, so it only deletes the old backups that aren't still on your system, but wait…those are more likely to be the ones you freaking need.

I don't use CCC either, but that's because AFAIK, it's just a front end for dd. I used to use something else that was just a front end for rsync.

Now, I use Time Machine because "why not," plus dd and rsync to keep a live, bootable backup…and a script that backs up my home folder to my archive, which is basically everything that's been in my home folder since before I switched to Apple in 2006.

But I'm pretty sure my time machine drive would be the one I didn't care about getting destroyed…because it has to be…because it eats itself for no god damned reason.
    Last edited by mostapha; 02-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12