About to drop $$ of some new cans...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default About to drop $$ of some new cans...

I know there are a plethora of "what headphone should I buy" threads out there, but felt I had a couple specific questions that would be helpful if answered.

As the title states, I need to get a new set of headphones. I previously had the TMA-1's, and while I liked them, I also came to the understanding with myself that I prefer OVER ear rather than ON ear headphones.

Right now I'm basically looking between two:

Pioneer HDJ-2000

Technical specifications
    Frequency response: 5Hz to 30,000Hz
    Impedance: 36 Ohm
    Sensitivity: 107dB
    Maximum power input: 3,500mW
    Driver units: 50mm dome type
    Cord: 1.2m long one-side connection coiled type (extended length 3m) Weight: 290g (without cord)

Ultrasone DJ1 Pro

Technical specifications
    S-Logic Natural Surround Sound
    Dynamic principle
    Frequency range: 10-22,000 Hz
    Impedance 64 Ohms
    Sound pressure level: 102 dB
    MU Metal bufferboard, reduced field emissions in accordance with ULE (=Ultra Low Emission) standard
    Driver: 50 mm Mylar
    Weight: 295 g (without cord)
    Long-term availability of spare parts

I've pretty much ruled out getting TMA-1's again (though they were nice). My puppy got at them (she was still little) and they didn't survive. I really did love the build quality, but felt they could have had a little more in the low end sound wise. Also with glasses and gauges, I found out I prefer over ear rather than on ear for comfort purposes with these.

A buddy of mine has the Xone 53's and while I like them, maybe it's vanity, but I don't want to completely copy everything that he has. I do really like them though, but I do have some fears about their longevity if I did go down that path.

Another friend has the HDJ-1000's and loves them, but the swivel joint is starting to crack after a little over a year. So that's why I'm looking at the 2000's instead, though it is a touch bigger price difference... but I'm willing to pay it.

Anyone have any experience between the Ultrasone's and the HDJ-2000's? Both seem like top quality cans, but I don't have anyone's I can check out for reference. Either way I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with the purchase, I just want to cover all my basis before I drop $200+ on a set of headphones (again).

• Anyone had both, or have tried both to compare the differences between the two?
    • Other than the metal construction of the 2000's, anything I should be aware of in build-quality/longevity?
    • Sound quality? Are the Highs/Lows/Mids punchier in either set of cans?

Right now I'll be honest and say I'm leaning toward the Pioneer's. 5Hz-30,000Hz vs 10Hz-22,000Hz with the Ultrasone's. But I'd love to hear any feedback people have.

(And I really do analyze things way too much before I buy lol)
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

You might want to take a look at the allen & heath xone xd-53 they sound amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by moss2626 View Post
    You might want to take a look at the allen & heath xone xd-53 they sound amazing.
    reading comprehension > moss2626
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I haven`t worn both but I can tell you more about the HDJ2000`s. Firstly, the build quality is amazing, not just the metal swivel, but also in the headband. It`s made of a shape retaining plastic so you can basically skew it in any direction and it`ll snap back. They`re very hard to break, so if you want good build quality, go for the pioneers.

For your frequency range: on the lower end 5hz and 10hz isn`t a difference considering that for the majority of people the lower threshold of hearing is 20Hz, so it doesn`t matter. and the same goes for the top. you won`t really hear anything over 20,000Hz so it becomes trivial any higher, it doesn`t matter if they respond to 1,000,000 Hz, we`re not dogs so it`s of no use. The HDJs are eq`ed for Djing which means that there its not a flat response, you`ll get a bit more punch from the bass so you`ll have an easier time mixing, because the majority is done with the bass frequencies, but you still have the original feel of the song, it`s not too heavily eq`d. The mids are also quite warm with the cans.
    DJ: Traktor Kontrol S4, Audio-Technica ATH-M50
    Production: LPD 8, Keystation 49, Fast-Track Pro, Equator D5 monitors

Tech Wizard

@keithace's : I said might take a look at the xone since he didn't seem to give them a real chance. They are probably the best out of the ones he mentioned and they are less expensive. I probably didn't express myself clearly haha my bad english is not my first language

Haven't tried both but I do have the Ultrasones so I'll give you my feedback.

First, these headphones are big. Big enough that they are not for everyone. In fact, they are some of the biggest DJ cans I've seen. Thankfully I've got a head to match so that's not such a huge problem . They're very comfortable, adjustable, and the swivel works nicely. The pads are nice and easily removable/replaceable. The cans themselves are quite durable too: mine have been dropped, sweated on, and have even had whiskey dumped on them while in use and they've kept on ticking. The S-Logic tech in them does make a difference and combined with the isolation you can get clear and loud sound without killing your ears to do so. Overall response is pretty flat with satisfying amounts of bass. I wish they were slightly clearer, but I think you'd have to go open back or more audiophile-centric phones for that. I originally went with them since they were cheaper than the 2000s and I haven't had a regret since.

I've got the Pioneers. SUPER comfortable. Solid build. I could see them lasting years but I've only had them for a year. They're a little bass heavy for my liking but still pretty transparent. I can't speak for the ultrasone's but many have given them great reviews. The 2000's are pricey but I have absolutely no buyers remorse with them. I will tell you I use different headphones for my professional work that have a flatter response. The only thing I would say about the Pioneers is the removable cord is a very tight fit to the headphones and I could see this being an issue if you are the type to unhook the cord from the headphones when packing (I don't so it's no biggie)
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

sony mdr-7506 or v6 if you dont want the gold fittings but the drivers are the same

I have the 2000s. Definitely recommendable, despite the price.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Actually as far as price goes, it's not a big difference for the 2000's vs the DJ1 Pro's at this point, if you look at Amazon's pricing.

Pioneer HDJ-2000: $246.31
    Ultrasone DJ1 Pro: $219.94

Of which, I'll probably just end up going to Guitar Center and having them price-match the best deal I can find. Have to say, the Guitar Center in Boston is awesome. And I can go to the one in Nashua New Hampshire, buy it without sales tax, and then pick it up from the Boston store if the Nashua store doesn't have it. Living close to NH is nice for such purchases lol.

Quote Originally Posted by moss2626 View Post
    @keithace's : I said might take a look at the xone since he didn't seem to give them a real chance. They are probably the best out of the ones he mentioned and they are less expensive. I probably didn't express myself clearly haha my bad english is not my first language
    I've looked at them, and had a fair bit of experience using them as my buddy who has them is the first one of my friends whom bought tables, and really got me into it. But as they are nice, I just don't see them on the same level as the other two. I like them, but I also want something a little different in my setup, so just taking them off the table for now.

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    First, these headphones are big. Big enough that they are not for everyone. In fact, they are some of the biggest DJ cans I've seen. Thankfully I've got a head to match so that's not such a huge problem .
    That's actually really good to know. I know the TMA-1's were on the big side as well, and I have a large cranium so that's pretty important. I've tried the HD25's and they are honestly too tight for me (main reason besides being on ear that I've taken them off the table).

Anyone have experience on the size of the HDJ-2000's?

Quote Originally Posted by xsmooth69x View Post
    sony mdr-7506 or v6 if you dont want the gold fittings but the drivers are the same
    Not really on the same playing field. Not really concerned with price as much as getting an all-around solid set of cans that I won't want to upgrade/change for a few years.

Also:
    I've read that the HDJ-2000's need a bit more power to operate. On my tables that would be fine with my mixer, but just wondering for potential iPhone use (for listening). Would I need an external headphone amp? Anyone with experience with the DJ1 Pro's have anything to weigh in on that note? (Honestly it's not a big deal, as they are mainly for mixing, but it's good to know).

And thanks for everyone who's responded so far. Going to be trying to pick something up by the end of the weekend, so it's good to hear things on both sides
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast