Issues with pitch adjustment granularity
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Issues with pitch adjustment granularity

Hi all,

Complete newbie here so please go easy. I used to use Traktor Studio 2 for DJing with my laptop and was pleased with the ability to right-click on the pitch control to get fine adjustments that would let me get the beatmatching pretty much bang-on. I have now taken a step into the present and upgraded to Traktor Pro 2 on Windows 7 and I even purchased a Numark Mixtrack (not Pro as I already have a very good sound card).

Now I am finding I am not able to get the beat match anywhere near as close as I used to be able to. I am enjoying the use of hardware to mix, but am frustrated that I am constantly riding the tempo bend controls to keep everything in time. I am aware that I can adjust the pitch range on Traktor but to get the fine-grained control that I am used to I need to set the range to 2% which makes it impossible to mix tracks that are any more than 3bpm out.

Now my question is: are there any alternatives to Traktor that are likely to help? I would like to try Serator DJ Intro as I am aware that Serato is famed for accuracy and reliability but I cannot even try it out unless I get a controller with an in-built audio card. I would like to avoid this as it may be a waste of time if there is no difference and I already have a very powerful audio card that I do not want to replace.

Also, I know that I can use Syncing but beatmatching is half the fun for me and my old-school friends.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Stephen

The problem isn't Traktor, but your hardware. It's about MIDI.

You are using a standard MIDI controller, which only allows 128 steps between the bottom of your pitch fader to the top. Hence the lack of precision.

You might want to look at a controller with hi-res messages such as the S2.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

OK, thanks for the help! So do you think if I switched the Mixtrack Pro with Serato's tight hardware integration that I would get around this issue?

No, it's still a standard MIDI controller sending the same standard lo-res MIDI data, regardless of the application.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Convert

Right-oh. Thank you very much for your help!

Stephen

You could map two buttons to fine increase/decrease of pitch and use that to nudge it into the correct position once you are as close as you can get using the shitty pitch fader.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

Tech Mentor

Have you tried changing the pitch/tempo range? the smaller you make it, the more precise the pitch slider will be.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    You could map two buttons to fine increase/decrease of pitch and use that to nudge it into the correct position once you are as close as you can get using the shitty pitch fader.
    Ah! How do I do this? I cannot see any mapping by that name. This sounds like exactly what I'm after!

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by peedot View Post
    Have you tried changing the pitch/tempo range? the smaller you make it, the more precise the pitch slider will be.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yep. This is pretty much where I am right now. The only issue as I mentioned earlier is that this then only gives me the ability to match tracks that are within 3bpm of eachother. And I am considering processing all of my tracks to bring them within this range but it seems a bit drastic.

Tech Mentor

3 bmp is drastic.. I don't think any company would make a controller that has a problem like that.

Maybe try downloading a new mapping from the controller mapping thread

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=24121

this may help

On another thought thou... are you trying to mix 2 tracks together with a large bmp difference like dubstep to d&b?
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast