Genre Help

Thread: Genre Help

Tech Convert

Default Genre Help

So, after talking to a few mates who have been into Dance music for years, I was asking them ( im quite new to dj'ing) what is their fave genre?

They said Techno, House, and one said Electro. I went on to Beatport to get the top 10 Electro and most of them are quite dubstep?

What do you all listen to? I personally like Trance but they laughed when i mentioned that, doesnt anyone listen to trance anymore?

Everyone has their niche that they like.

Personally I go between DnB, Breaks, Hardstyle, Hardcore, and Dubstep for what I tend to listen to. But it took me awhile to differentiate between all of it honestly. I've been listening to this stuff basically straight out since I was 16, and I'm 27 today.

It's just a matter of familiarity. And you won't find a lot of Trance parties/events out anymore in my experience, though they do exist.

Play what you love, and love what you play.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Convert

Thanks for the reply mate,

yeah im kinda in to anything as long as i like it lol, but I want to play more gigs/parties for the local people in my town, im 27 too.

E.g. i love Sofi Needs A ladder by Deadmau5, its under electro in beatport, then today I downloaded the top 10 electro, personally I love them but don't know if people in this town are into dubstep, and it features in these songs, is this really Electro? Suppose I cant argue with Beatport lol

Then on the other hand id love to play the Concrete Angel tune by Gareth Emery, but its trance, unless I wait for a remix

Tech Mentor

I'm on the same page with you. I just can't figure out if a song is a dubstep or an electro? But I mean I really don't care also.

I personally listen Deep and Electro House.

And about your trance question just check the festivals like ADE, Tomorrowland... Lots of people still listen to Trance.

Tech Convert

Yeah the Electro house is the one that I liked, on Beatports top 10 theres, Knife Party, Zedd, Chuckie, I think they are damn good tunes but I would have said they were dubstep and not electro, or is this the way electro is going?

I dont mind if its either genre but if im paying near £2 a tune id really want what i used to think was electro and that was the Sofi Needs A Ladder etc

Let me tell you something more funnier.When ı told the dj s ı am in to genre of soulful house they laughed me too.Because everybody thinking that soul music is much more for older people for dj ing.And the much you get old you get better in soul music.And the one thing ı heard that stop and just listen for at least you are 30.

I dont care what people think about you.If you love Trance play Trance in a perfect way

Take Care
    Macbook Pro-Mixmeister Fusion-Traktor Pro 2-Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by mattv1 View Post
    What do you all listen to? I personally like Trance but they laughed when i mentioned that, doesnt anyone listen to trance anymore?
    You need to find new friends then

My everyday music is Trance & i love the Tech/Hard subgenre. Some good uplifting & progressive, but then i'm being picky here.

As a trance head i'm not expecting to find/attend any random parties or mix with other mainstream kind (i dont enjoy parties & clubbing, but love djing just to please myself) & listening to a lot more trance tunes while gaming/working, the perfect time where i actually have some time to properly listen to new tracks.

As much as i'm hoping i could play the music i love openly to people without shame i always stopped/turning down volumes whenever there is a person in within vicinity of my mixing space, i just dont feel comfortable enough to do it for the fear they criticize my music choices!