Is the s4 a better investment then the s2. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

wait till NAMM 13 ends
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Funny you should say that...the lack of advancements from serato at NAMM has peaked my interest in the Traktor setup.

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    Funny you should say that...the lack of advancements from serato at NAMM has peaked my interest in the Traktor setup.
    NI apparently doesn't attend NAMM but they apparently like to launch their stuff around that period, so I heard
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLCHEESE View Post
    I'm getting about a 1000$ on my tax return and I'm having a hard time waying the pros and cons of the s2 and s4. Is it better to invest in s4 over the s2. Focus being longevity, sound quality,loop performance, and having the less amount of equipment with the most capablities.
    Given your tight budget, I would get the S2. The S4 will basically blow the bank. Spend the extra on other stuff - headphones, monitors, a backup laptop, music - or just fold it over and leave it in your pocket for the next great toy.

The S2 is VERY capable. Once you get it, stop focusing on what you don't have, and start focusing on what you do have. Frankly, managing four decks is an ADVANCED skill. Managing two decks plus sample decks is also a challenge. Doing more than "two deck DJing" requires advanced thought, prep, and planning.

After a year with the VCI-100 and almost a year with the S2....I am just now "feeling" the limits of a two channel controller. Even so, the limits are just forcing me to get "creative"...and that's not a bad thing.

I looked HARD at the VCI-400....and decided to pick up a Maschine Mk1 (on sale) instead. I may revisit the VCI-400 in another 6 months...but I have grown REALLY attached to the S2 size.

Quote Originally Posted by GIRLCHEESE View Post
    Is the s4 more adaptable in a professional setting vs the s2.
    Both S2 & S4 are "NI"....and there might be some difference between how those are perceived and how some of the controllers sold at consumer electronic stores are perceived.

I typically play at places that know ME...and at this point, they don't even look at my gear. There is just an assumption that I will get the job done with the gear that I bring. In most booths, I find it a squeeze to get an S2 setup...the S4 needs a LOT more table space.

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong....but wouldn't you be restricted to only hearing 2 decks at any time rather than a possible 4 due to the 2 channel limit on the s2?
    There are some mappings for 4 channel control. I run the S2 in a 2deck + 2 sample deck configuration, and I can hear all that at once. I can even layer Maschine output over Traktor output through the same S2 sound card.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Think the 4 channel S4 would be my ticket. Fortunately it's not that expensive either. I'll wait and see though, maybe a Z4 will rear it's head

Tech Mentor

Correct me if I am wrong....but wouldn't you be restricted to only hearing 2 decks at any time rather than a possible 4 due to the 2 channel limit on the s2?
    No, you would just be limited to only controlling two decks at a time without using modifiers. But this holds true on the S4 as well, with the exceptions of EQ's and level sliders.
    Last edited by sss18734; 01-25-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    ^ No, you would just be limited to only controlling two decks at a time without using modifiers
    sorry....was that meant for me...?

Tech Mentor

Corrected for less confusion. Sorry!

I suppose there's some button to transfer deck control to a jog wheel or turntable...?

Sorry if my questions are n00bish :\

They are both 'bad' investments money wise.

I'll explain....
    The write off on midi controllers is high, I would say at least 30-40% in the first year.
    Compair this with a pioneer cdj, rane mixers or a technics SL and you know it's not a good investment (dj gear almost never is)

Besides that, they are both fun to play with and plenty of people have used them OTR.
    If you want to stick with one for a while, I would suggest the S4.... if you want to start and have a habit of switching to nicer stuff (called GAS) fast...then I would go for the S2 and then progress to something that suits your style (if the S2 doesn't float your boat anymore).

Good luck with the purchase !
    If they don’t want to see the light…..just make them feel the beat…..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast