is anyone an acoustic musician as well?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default is anyone an acoustic musician as well?

Hey!

Apart from spinning facemelting DnB I'm also a fiddler, guitarist and bassplayer(ish). I don't really have a clear picture about how common this is among DJs so I have two questions for y'all!

1: Do you play any instruments and wich?

2: Assuming you started playing instruments before DJing, do you feel your musical experience helped in your learning and inspirational process and how?

Hey TorqueScope,

I started playing the violin when I was three years old. When I was five, I started playing the trumpet. I got as serious as most kids are able to during middle school and took the youth orchestra experience as far as it could really go in the US (i.e. Carnegie Hall). For high school, I went to Interlochen Arts Academy where I studied trumpet performance and conducting. It was a great opportunity to get a taste of the conservatory world and to help figure out whether music is what one wants to pursue as a career. In college, I focused on composition but continued to pursue performance on the trumpet. I play many instruments, but brass and conducting are home to me.

My musical training has had a huge impact on my electronic music. My knowledge of theory of music lends me a definite advantage in production. Phrasing and rhythm are two fundamental parts of music that I've learned far more about in acoustic performance than in electronic performances.

Having a home in the world of concert music (classical music, plus), I'm always struck by how quickly DJ skills can be learned and tracks can be produced. The product I hear in Ableton is made so quickly when compared to practicing an acoustic instrument.

I don't know how many DJs have had careers performing other types of music, but I'm sure that the perspective it has given me is very, very, valuable.

First off, +1 for the thread.

I'm 27, been playing guitar since I was 11. Aside from that, I can play drums keyboard, harmonica, alto sax, a mean triangle and a very small bit of violin. But not well lol. Primarily guitar though.

I think that guitar (and other instruments) really opened my mind to music in general. Knowing how music is structured, timing and having an all around ear for music really aided in learning how to dj. I have a VERY eclectic taste in music, everything from country to the filthiest dubstep, and I tribute that learning guitar at such a young age. I like music in general, and I feel that my creativity and inspiration DJing directly relates to that.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I sing and play Guitar, banjo, accordion and bodhran in an Irish folk band, as well as guitar in a punk band and in an instrumental surf band. I'm also a sound tech at festivals and live music events.

Understanding how music is put together has definitely helped me put mixes together, and my experience behind a soundboard has given me great knowledge in understanding my gear and how sound works with eq and effects.

Intoxicated /adj./ When you feel sophisticated without being able to pronounce it.

facebook.com/DJJakeLake
    jakelake.info

been a drummer since i was 8 years old. played in several hc/crust bands. stopped playing in bands last year. hope to start some projects again in the next years.
    the last band i played in still exists. here are some songs and stuff with me on the drums:
    http://vyst.bandcamp.com/releases
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

I sang at a high level for 8 years and dropped off in college when I realized that a life in symphony/orchestra choruses wasn't what I wanted and that I just didn't have a solo voice. I could see recording myself for EDM pieces at some point, though.

I started playing guitar after I started DJing as an emotional outlet that DJing just can't be. I'm not good, and I hardly know any songs…but I can hold my own at a blues jam.

I used to play jaw harp and could reliably hit pitches, which is about all I've come to expect from that instrument. Though I haven't done that in a long time and probably have really shit tone at this point.

In elementry/middle school, I played Saxophone (Alto), Keyboard, Flute, and Viola…though none of them ever really stuck. I can barely get a tone out of a flute at this point, and I don't remember how Violas are tuned. And I always kinda hated Sax.

I think that my musical upbringing taught me a lot of lessons that take DJs a long time…and that a lot of modern ones just won't learn. But I think it's impeded my ability to produce to a slight degree since the only instrument that really makes sense to me at this point is the guitar…and it's really hard to translate guitar chords/scales to piano in my head…at least, it is for me…because I suck at piano and never took it seriously as a kid.

I should really look into getting one of those roland/fender strats that can output MIDI…if it works, it'd probably be a god's send, but it'd also be a huge step back from the G&L and Nash guitars I'm used to playing.

played guitar for about 4 years
    recently got into ukulele, veeeery therapeutic, chills me right out

Played Piano for about 6-7 years in middle/high school (Mostly classical), but haven't played much of it since. Although I like making simple melodies/chords/leads with my SL MK2 25 to overlay on certain tracks.

Piano gave me a good ear, I generally don't need to use mixed in key or whatnot to know what keys go with what.

Kinda miss playing to be honest, I might eventually upgrade from a portable 25 keyboard to a bigger 61+ beast to keep in the bedroom.
    Hardware: MBA 13" i7 | NI S4 | Maschine
    Software: TSP 2.5 | Live 8 | ZebraII | Massive | FM8 | Sylenth1

I play Classical piano here, ive played in Carnegie hall and will be playing in Vienna this summer. I also play the bass, guitar, banjo, trombone and want to play a stringed instrument like the cello. I have trouble finding time to learn it though, i love playing the piano though, and it definatly has helped with djing ALOT and obviously producing. Being classically trained i have loads of theory knowledge which i use all the time when producing.
    Check out my...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/glenboarder99
    http://soundcloud.com/glenboarder99
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Then you are golden....like Ean Golden.

Tech Wizard

Cool thread!

I can play the guitar, piano and the bagpipes. I first started learning to play guitar when i was around 7 years old. My Grandad owned a small business, making his own instruments, mainly guitars. And gave me my first guitar one christmas, which i still own now. It was just a tiny acoustic, i plan on giving it to my son one day. I now also have 2 proper acoustics and 2 electric guitars from him, i have never spent a penny on a guitar which is a bonus haha

I started playing piano when i started high school at 12, and studied it throughout school, although most of it has went out of my head. I can still play basic stuff like chords and a few simple tunes. Not as much as i would like to remember though.

And i am also a bagpiper. I am ex forces, where i served in a scottish infantry regiment called The Black Watch, and i was part of there infamous Pipes and Drums unit. I have played around the world including a year at the famous Edinburgh Military Tattoo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast