Making a Mask
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Mask

Tech Guru

Default Making a Mask

I want to start working on making a cool mask to wear just for fun while djing. Was thinking about some different concepts for a long term project, and I am open to ideas.
    Idea 1: Soft Mesh Mask like Bloody Beetroots uses, except make the mask kinda blank and sew in multicolor leds then attach it to an arduino and have the mask change designs using the leds almost as a screen. Think rorschach but with colors and various designs.

Idea 2:? Ok so right now I only got one idea atm, but there will be more (i hope)

Any suggestions would be cool
    FIX8:OSCill8
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

seriously, i would be kinda irritated seeing a dj with a blinking mask, as long as it's not a controller.
    really would like to see pics when it's done!

and i just can't get around posting this.. sorry ;-)
    reminded me too much of that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbG-13WTkPw

Tech Guru

lol made me laugh, also his cuts are pretty nice. What I mean is not necesarily blinking lights but the idea of a mask that is nothing and anything. Basically being able to have any image I want in place of my face, or even get a face feature blending video like you see in A Scanner Darkly
    My Rig: Macbook 13" (2.16ghz 4gb crucial ram), VCI-100 custom paint, Korg Nanopad, Axiom 25, DJIO

Tech Guru

Update: Was thinking about using an array of smaller oled displays to output multiple images. See here http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/...-5+OLED+Screen Maybe using about 6 to 8 of these would work, not sure how flexible they are but the probably wouldn't need to flex too much. Does anyone know how far the processing power of an arduino kit could be pushed? (somehow I doubt it could handle multiple video sources lol. Though if it was just outputting color to each screen that would be pretty simple.

Kinda aside, does anyone know of any good guides for learning about programming and general arduino knowledge?

Tech Mentor

seriously, forget this idea.
    wearing a mask while djing will make you look like a bbts wannabe kiddo. it's their trademark and should be not copied.

i mean, i would laugh at an unknown dj who is wearing a mask..

sorry, but that's my opinion.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DennisJ View Post
    wearing a mask while djing will make you look like a bbts wannabe kiddo. it's their trademark and should be not copied.

I wouldn't say that wearing a mask is their trademark, since other acts do it. However, this would really be terribly serious, and I doubt I would use it to gig with, maybe when just hanging out with my friends to mess around with. For me the fun is in making it, not necessarily the practical applications.

Ed. W/ regard to laughing at an unknown dj who is wearing a mask, at some point every major masked dj started from being unknown. No one becomes a superstar dj and then creates a mask/costume/persona, they develop gradually from nothing. So it seems foolish to laugh at an unknown masked dj without hearing their performance, which after all is the end result.
    Last edited by mpetersen3; 04-21-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisJ View Post

I wouldn't say that wearing a mask is anyones trademark. There are many acts that wear masks and started wearing masks before they were well known. I think that if it contributes to the act and either improves the show or at least intrigues people, then go for it. Hell, Daft Punk doesn't even interview without their costumes on, and I would say that it has deffinately contributed to the show.

13" MacBook Pro 2.7 i7 w/dual Raid0 OWC SSDs - S4 - Ableton Live 8- Lemur- iPad 2

Quote Originally Posted by mpetersen3 View Post
    Kinda aside, does anyone know of any good guides for learning about programming and general arduino knowledge?
    The Arduino playground has everything you would need to know for this project if you used led drivers it would be pretty simple

http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/LEDDriver

Don't wear a mask.

Wear a smile and play amazing music that makes you happy.

Nothing more is required.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

First of all, Bloody Beetroots are not the first, nor the last, act to wear a mask on stage. *shrug* It's their thing, but that doesn't mean no one else can do it.

Second, I think masks are silly. Now, if you were to just have LEDs attached to your face that blink in beat, that might be really cool.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast