About playing live alongside djs

Default About playing live alongside djs

Hello everyone! Im a new user that registered here a long time ago but forgot I did so haha. So, anyway I have a question regarding playing live electronic music alongside djs. I am very near completion of my ableton live template. It contains 9 tracks; drums, percussion, sub bass, bass, synth 1, 2, 3, fills, and finally misc. I have also built a couple of fx chains as well as a master fx chain.

As I browse these forums a couple of things have caught my attention that have me a bit nervous taking my material in front of a crowd. First and foremost is the fact that I know that I will be a headliner act, yet I also know that not all of my music would be considered warm up material. Also, from what i've read on here most crowds will be expecting tunes they know. Are these things I should even be worried about?

Another thing that has crossed my mind is that, depending on how often I am able to get gigs, I might not have any new material to present or I might only have 2-3 new songs. I have about 2-2.5 hours worth of presentable material as it is, but is this enough? Thanks for any help :)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardisRaving View Post
    As I browse these forums a couple of things have caught my attention that have me a bit nervous taking my material in front of a crowd. First and foremost is the fact that I know that I will be a headliner act, yet I also know that not all of my music would be considered warm up material. Also, from what i've read on here most crowds will be expecting tunes they know. Are these things I should even be worried about?
    Do you mean you will not be a headliner act?

If i'm not headlining, then i will just play chill warmup stuff / stuff that people know (pop stuff) depending where i am playing

If you meant headlining - Then you can play whatever you want (:
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    Do you mean you will not be a headliner act?

If i'm not headlining, then i will just play chill warmup stuff / stuff that people know (pop stuff) depending where i am playing

If you meant headlining - Then you can play whatever you want (:
    haha oops yep I meant not a headliner. The thing is though, I'm not a dj at all. I would only be playing the tracks I have produced. Should I just make more warm up style tracks to go along with my set?

What kind of night is it? I wouldn't worry too much about what to play, just make sure your set doesn't raise the energy to a level that makes it difficult for the following acts.