Gotta love people on craigslist who just "want to come by and take a look" - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I'm not sure why people think this is acceptable, my home is not Guitar Center where you can just come and play with gear before you decide if you want to buy something. I've never once asked to come by and take a look at something someone was selling before I buy, if I want something I negotiate beforehand, bring cash, and buy it.

It's really a security thing, I'm not going to just let anyone into my apartment to come look at all my gear and where I live. I used to be a dick about it when people would ask me this but I think I handle it better now. A guy asked this a little while ago and my response was:

Which is better than how I used to respond where I would go on long passive aggressive rants or straight up tell them to go fuck themselves.

Anyway, just felt like getting that out
    LOL...on the MONEY!

If that was here in SA, they would be doing that to find where you live.
    Then case the place for about a week to determine your usual movements.

Then they time you....and break in and jip all your shit.

I personally knew some dodgey fucker whose MO is just that. Checks the classifieds...and weeds out some unsuspecting fool. Goes to 'have a look' and then steals the stuff.

Don;t allow it!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    LOL...on the MONEY!

If that was here in SA, they would be doing that to find where you live.
    Then case the place for about a week to determine your usual movements.

Then they time you....and break in and jip all your shit.

I personally knew some dodgey fucker whose MO is just that. Checks the classifieds...and weeds out some unsuspecting fool. Goes to 'have a look' and then steals the stuff.

Don;t allow it!!
    Glad I'm not just being paranoid. Trust me I would normally be tempted to just let them come have a look in hopes of selling it but I'm not that stupid anymore, even though I feel I live in a secure apartment building with key card access on the second floor I wouldn't want to take a chance.

Rather not!

I have a decentish sound system in my old car. ....but I don't play it in my street or near my house. Purely as it is then noticed and only a matter of time till its gone.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

50% deposit/cover charge to get in the door. And I never meet people at home, theirs or mine.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Yeah it's not practical or possible for everyone, but when I sell something I take it to work where potential buyers can gladly come have a look. I found this to be very effective in weeding out mere 'lookers and jackers' - those who are serious don't mind.
    92/2D/X1/KRK/Traktor (Toshiba Satellite M50 / PSM51L)
    Progressive Psychedelic

I think that's completely reasonable.

I refuse to post my phone number on CL, so anyone that can't respond via email or wants me to call them back in their email to me doesn't get a response.

Honestly, when I posted my PS3 on CL, I had about 100 offers within a day...I responded to 3 of them.
    nope.

My #1 best (worst) interaction on Craigslist was regarding an iMac I put up for sale. I wish I still had the email he sent, it really was priceless. I was asking for somewhere around $900-$1000. The kid emails me something to the effect of "hey I don't have $1,000 but I reeeeeaaallly need a new computer my laptop got fried and I'm screwed bla bla bla I'll trade you a broken laptop, a set of (shitty) electronic drums only without the kick drum, a guitar amp and I have about $100".

I typed about ten different messages that started out like "dude I don't need a fucked up laptop and a bunch of your useless broken shit, I need $1000" but ended up sending something more along the lines of "sorry, no trades".
    I blow stuff up

Then there was the guy who turned "okay, well give me a call on Saturday and we'll meet up" into calling me at 6 in the morning on Saturday like "hey I'm about a half hour away"... mind you this guy lived three hours away from me... and showed up with $150 less than we'd agreed on.
    I blow stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asdrn View Post
    and showed up with $150 less than we'd agreed on.
    Haha I hope you didn't fall for that and sent him back home or told him to find an ATM. I've had people try to pull that bs with me and I laugh and tell them to leave which usually results in them pulling another hundred dollars out of another pocket.

Tech Mentor

lol. Ah the "show up with less" trick. I always make sure to verbally agree on the price before meeting up. Oh, and I've learned to always let the buyer come to you.

Once I tried selling a car subwoofer to a guy who lived two hours away. He said he'd give me 10 bucks extra to drive like 40 minutes to meet him. So I agreed. Not only was he 40 minutes late, but when I called him to make sure he was almost here, he asked me how deep the sub was. When I told him, he was just like "oh, that won't fit under my honda's seat." lol. One out of the two times I have cursed out a craigslist buyer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12