The Technics Substitute
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default The Technics Substitute

Since Technics are getting harder and harder to find for cheap anymore, what would you say a viable replacement for a pair of technics 1200's would be?
    Macbook Pro 17", Mixtrack Pro, M-Audio X-Session

Stanton ST-150s.

Even Q uses them (But the STR8 models)

Loooooooaaaaads of posts on this already....

Stanton STR-8 150s
    Numark TTXs
    Vestax PDX2000/2000Mk2/2300 etc

Go have a dig.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Guru

There a bunch of tables out there that people will say are as good as 1200's or maybe some people will suggest certain tables are better than 1200's. No matter what though, wether they are better or maybe they're just as good, they just aren't 1200's. Ive never seen Stanton 150's or PDX's, etc in the booth. Practicing/using on what you would play on in a prffesional club is IMO worth the tag (within reason). Take it for what it's worth.

Hands down Numark TTXusb's

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Practicing/using on what you would play on in a prffesional club is IMO worth the tag (within reason).
    So he should buy some CDJs? Just kidding

I had 1200s for a few years a while back, and own a pair of STR8-150s now (don't ask, it's a sad story). Anyways aside from looking a little bit different and having a few more buttons (that aren't really needed unless you're mixing Kenny G with Sonic Death Monkey) I can't tell much of a difference (if any).

I would say buy STR8-150s and spend the extra $1000+ that you'll save on records/downloads/plugins/mixer/whatever.
    I blow stuff up

There is no substitute!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asdrn View Post
    So he should buy some CDJs? Just kidding
    True story: Someone refered me to a big production company. They were about to do another tour all around the east coast US, and their crowds were anywhere from 1500 to like over 10,000 and usually around the 5,000-8,000 mark. I guess they were looking for someone to open for the main headliner at all their shows. They got my info from whoever refered me, looked at my soundcloud mixes and picked me and two other dudes as finalists (they said over 100 applicants). I go in to meet them at their facility, they tell me they have a special DJ booth set-up that shoots lasers and smoke and that I have to use their equipment (CDJ-2000's, 900 nexus). Well I told them the truth, I hadn't used CDJ's since I used a pair of 1000 MK2's a few times like 8 years ago.

Yea they didn't pick me......I'm sure I woulda been fine cause it's not rocket science, but who in their right mind wants to take that big of a chance on someone?

Mad long story....but maybe "I" should buy CDJ's
    Last edited by manchild; 02-21-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DjZzeless View Post
    There is no substitute!
    ...Why?

do you scratch?
    i dont - and maybe its me just being skeptical because theres some nuance of 1200s im missing that can only be realized while going crazy with the scratching, but it all just seems like bullshit. i dont fucking care about the brand, the only objective thing ive literally felt a difference in from table to table and makes a difference you can FEEL - high torque and direct drive.

this is a tired arguement but of all the times ive seen it ive yet to see a technics purist being able to articulate why a vestax stantons or numarks offerings arent suitable, its always the same bleating "itz da best", "itz da standard", "all da greatz uz itz"... just seems like bullshit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast