SL2 vs SL3 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SL2 vs SL3

So, as to the OP's question…yes…it's just an IO thing. The SL3 might be worth considering mostly because 3 decks is kinda cool (depending on your genre) and you can use the 3rd one for something like Ableton or maybe Maschine or the MPC Renaissance (with their apps…they're stupid as DJ controllers)…which is sick.

As for the other BS in this thread….

I have a weird stance on the whole sync issue.

I have no problem with it, despite using turntables. I apparently do nothing a bit worse than everyone else. Auto-gridding fails for me 100% of the time. Maybe my ears are better. Maybe I'm pickier. Maybe Traktor and Ableton really do honestly hate me. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

But…I went back to SSL with Technics after a year on Ableton and a bit more than that on Traktor Pro with X1s because beat matching is easier than setting beat grids or warp markers by hand. I knew something was wrong when I was about to pay someone to set beat grids for me…bringing the cost of my wav files within a buck or two of the cost of vinyl. All so it was marginally easier to do things that I can do manually anyway.

If auto-sync actually worked that way (as in…do nothing, then push a button and things magically sync up), I'd use it in a heartbeat and quit bitching.

But it doesn't, so I use a DVS in Absolute mode because it's easier. I am thinking about dicers for looping, though, because even though I know how to beat juggle…it's not worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    But it doesn't, so I use a DVS in Absolute mode because it's easier. I am thinking about dicers for looping, though, because even though I know how to beat juggle…it's not worth the effort.
    After getting the Dicers, I'd recommend them to any 1200/Serato user. They aren't game breaking, but it's nice having those looping controls at your fingertips easily. And they won't break the bank by any means either. If you have an X1 it might be redundant though, but I really like how they just fit into the tables without much fuss.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I sold my X1s.

It was worth ditching traktor for my entire "new" setup to cost only like $150-200 out of pocket.

The main hesitation is just that my recording interface is USB (against my better judgement…I'm also starting to hate it because it makes me restart more often than any other piece of hardware or software I've used since I switched to Apple) and I also use it as a monitor controller. So, getting the dicers would mean that I'd need to use a USB hub and that one of the sound cards would have to be on a hub.

Or I could do what I should have done in the first place and boy a FW sound card for recording. That'd solve the problem too. Or just record off my laptop's line in since it sounds fine for the 16/44.1 files I DJ with. That'd work too.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    So, as to the OP's question…yes…it's just an IO thing. The SL3 might be worth considering mostly because 3 decks is kinda cool (depending on your genre) and you can use the 3rd one for something like Ableton or maybe Maschine or the MPC Renaissance (with their apps…they're stupid as DJ controllers)…which is sick.

As for the other BS in this thread….

I have a weird stance on the whole sync issue.

I have no problem with it, despite using turntables. I apparently do nothing a bit worse than everyone else. Auto-gridding fails for me 100% of the time. Maybe my ears are better. Maybe I'm pickier. Maybe Traktor and Ableton really do honestly hate me. I don't know. I'm not a doctor.

But…I went back to SSL with Technics after a year on Ableton and a bit more than that on Traktor Pro with X1s because beat matching is easier than setting beat grids or warp markers by hand. I knew something was wrong when I was about to pay someone to set beat grids for me…bringing the cost of my wav files within a buck or two of the cost of vinyl. All so it was marginally easier to do things that I can do manually anyway.

If auto-sync actually worked that way (as in…do nothing, then push a button and things magically sync up), I'd use it in a heartbeat and quit bitching.

+1 thank you for properly validating my feelings... now i can stop crying and get on with making sum newbie wretch when he asks how do i do that with out a lot of buttons....lol (just jking id never crush sum kids dreams without making sure i had parental constent first...but if the money is right )

Tech Convert

Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate it and I've made my mind up to go with SL3 and a pair of dicers. The purchase will be made this week. Thanks again, WB.

you wont regret it, the dicers along with my lpd8 have completely re-invigorated my luv for the art.. and i hope it does for you too... we all lokk forward to your vids or mixes to see what u come up with

Tech Mentor

I've never had the SL2, but i do have the SL3. Honestly i haven't used the extra I/O for anything yet but it's nice to have the room to expand. It will probably be used as a record in from my mixer.

I have the SL2 and wish i went with an SL3, purely for recording capabilities.
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

There are better interfaces available than the SL3 for recording…you just can't record inside SSL with them…which is fine, it's limiting.

Your laptop's line-in and Audacity will give better results if you know what you're doing. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and Logic…and the only thing I don't like about it is that it's USB. God, I hate USB.

Quote Originally Posted by herlsy View Post
    I've never had the SL2, but i do have the SL3. Honestly i haven't used the extra I/O for anything yet but it's nice to have the room to expand. It will probably be used as a record in from my mixer.
    having owned both SL3(Sold) & SL4 def that extra I/O, does make good use if you have a 3rd/4th controller for SP-6, Ableton(The Bridge), Recording made my whole experience with Serato <3 and loving it!!
    My DJ & Production gear(Pioneer CDJ-400, Numark DXM-06, Rane SL4, Ableton Live 8+4 EIC/The Bridge/Puremagnetik Retro Synths, M4L, Akai APC40(New)& MPD24, Numark NPM5 Active 5" Studio Monitors(New), AA HP 700 & Sennheiser HD 201

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12