First Gig tonight/this weekend.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First Gig tonight/this weekend.

So for the under 21/over 18 crowd here, a night out involves a hookah bar usually. About a month ago I purchased my S2. I started calling around to see if any clubs or bars were looking for DJ's. Obviously I wasnt ready to DJ yet, I was just curious on how hard it was going to be to get my foot in the door.

Back to the hookah bar. I called one of these places and talked to the owner. Turns out he was looking for someone right then. I explained that I wasn't good enough to do a live set just yet and he told me to call back when I was. He just called me back three days ago, asked if I would be interested in playing this weekend. And gave me the opportunity to go by tonight and spin and get a feel for the place.

Here's the question. After a month I feel I am obviously not ready for this...but I am considering it for a few reasons. I've read that you should take any chance you can get to DJ esp. when first starting out. Another thing that would be good is the information/education I would get from this first gig.

But what are your guys' thoughts? The place plays mostly rap/hip-hop. I can get away with some house and a moderate amount of dubstep. In all honestly, a "packed" house at this joint might be 10-15 people tonight. And maybe 25-35 on the weekends.

Just looking for input.

Tech Mentor

No risk. Even if you mess up, you're likely to make friends with the people chilling at the bar. Do it. Why wouldn't you?

Tech Convert

The only real reason I'm worried is mostly because my mixing skills are sub-par. And of course I'm nervous of messing it up haha. I'll probably end up doing it. I just downloaded the new S2 mapping though and my browsing knob is messing up.

Tech Mentor

Keep it simple. Use the default, reliable mappings and don't try to go too crazy. Do some intro/outro transitions and some needle drops. What could go wrong? Focus on good music more than the mixing aspect.

I'd rather hear a DJ play awesome music all night and needle drop every transition, than hear a DJ play average music all night and have great mixing skills.

Dude....

Just fade the Intro of the new track, over the outro of the current track.

This is pretty much cheating, but will allow you to play tracks after each other without trainwrecking.

Then ease into it. Try and beatmatch and mix the tracks. If it is not working....and you running outta time...just fade the intro \outro.

Then try again....

You will learn a lot like this....real time.

Then go home and attempt what you could not get right in the club and see if you can work it out.

Next time...you use that new skill etc.

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Record a set. Listen to it. Decide if that sound is something you don't mind subjecting people to.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

The worst thing you cando is TRY to put a mixed set together. Jsut play tunes that suit the venue/night, and don't try to get too creative.

You can set a mood without ever beat-matching a thing.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Thanks a bunch for the info guys! I actually went last night and here is how it went:

Showed up, set everything up with no problems. Didnt forget anything and no customers had showed up yet. Going by what other DJs spin at local joints like this one, I played mostly top 40 dance music. The way I transitioned from song to song was by just fading in and out, nothing too exciting.

After I was finished the owner showed me a "zumba workout song." Not kidding. And told me he would like me to perform like that. The track wasnt horrible but the DJ who mixed it was def better than I am. Link to song here.

One thing that kind of pissed me off. When I got there and set up my speakers. (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringe...19-i1449708.gc) They were worried that these would not be loud enough. The room is only 1400 square feet. The speakers could have been too loud given I turned them up all the way. They use a house stereo with about 4 house or "living room" speakers in their establishment currently, and wanted me to go through those as well. One of these speakers is already blown. I told them I would use my speakers only, luckily there was not a problem with this last night. They want to still try their speakers for weekends.

The biggest thing that irritated me was the fact that I had explained this is my FIRST gig. I've only had the equipment for about a month up to this point. They expected me to be a professional even after making it clear I was not. In addition to not only mixing like a professional they expect me to mix country, rock, hip-hop and dance music together flawlessly. Not sure how well country would ever fit in.

Tech Convert

After looking through that zumba clip, its not the same one. Those songs arent even mixed. Hopefully you get the idea though.

gotta do it sometime. might as well be now. Some people never step out of the bedroom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast