Is there a much difference between KRK rp5 G1 and G2?

Default Is there a much difference between KRK rp5 G1 and G2?

Hey guys just wondering can anyone give me an opinion on this, I have seen a pair of RP5's (first gen) that i can get for good money or should i invest in a pair of the second gen RP5's?

Thanks for your help

Louisf1819

the rp1 series were great also, so i would have no qualms picking up rp1 if they are good condishhhh, just remember that 5" woofers dont have a great bass response so, you may need a woofer if you are producing bass heavy music. I find the RP6's adequate and so do a lot of others. but the general consensus is that an 8" is woofer is what you should aim for.

good luck. KRK's sound bad ass for the price range! really bad ass!

Well I was mostly looking the RP5's for a beginner DJ setup then using them for producing in the future. I can research the rp8's and see what price I can get them for but i thought before that they might be a bit much?

I will measure my room 2moro when I get back and you can tell me what you think but i thought RP6's would be the most I would ever need.

Tech Wizard

The only real difference between g1 and g2 is the new cabinet design allows for greater "side throw" on the high drivers. This is to expand the sweet spot for people who cant always sit dead center between their monitors. The low drivers are built a little different, but i noticed almost no marked sonic difference between my rp8 g1s and the g2's.

Well in that case then i might just pick up a pair of the G1 speakers, cause I will definitely be sitting in the middle of my speakers all the time as they will be on my desk.

My room is 15ft by 13ft 5" so any recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Tech Wizard

Try to have your monitors facing the smaller dimension of the room, although thats often not possible. Monitors projecting directly into the longer dimension allow more room for lower frequency standing waves. Without going into too much science, lets just say you will get far more undesired boominess and artificial coloration at your listening position.

You can also invest in some basic Auralex wedgie tiles for the walls. Even a few will help if placed in the most prominent areas where sound is reflected back to the listening position.

You can use the basic "mirror method" <---click> to find the best places to mount the tiles.

Usually the area directly behind you is the best place to start.