Which controller would you suggest?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Which controller would you suggest?

Hey guys,
    So i'm starting to narrow down my hopeful MIDI controllers, and i was hoping that maybe we could get a discussion going on which controller is best for the price. i'd be willing to spring up to $800 but i'm not going to go to $1000. i'm still learning, but hopefully i'll be able to make my money back sooner or later. (i'm in this for a quasi long haul):

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...or-kontrol-s2/

http://www.planetdj.com/i--VMS4TRAK&...ent=googlebase

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCS4DJ

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FUFN4Aod_1UEQw

from my point of view, these are all pretty dang good boards. the Denon DN-MC6000 is a pretty good board for the price, with 4 track decks and it can be independent from a computer? seems like quality to me, considering that even the S4 doesn't allow you to be computer independent.

the stanton controller seems like a lower quality rig, although most lower quality rigs don't allow you to be computer independent, which this one does. rather simplistic which is fine with me.

the VMS4 seems pretty fun, with lots of flashy buttons and such. 4 decks, solid traktor capability (considering it's designed for traktor) and it allow for input from most any source, with two mic inputs. seems nice for $600...

then the S2 is the most commonly known out of all of these, i would think. it's cheap for now, until march 31st and it's a great buy considering all that you get out of it.

so, correct me if i'm wrong on any of my assumptions, and give your opinion. tell me which one you would buy. and if you wouldn't buy any of these, what would you buy instead?

Thanks guys! i really appreciate it!

potatobum

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

S2 is the best of the bunch IMHO espessially at the current price (regular price would seriously put me off though) if you think you'll need the additional channels and possibly timecode in the future the S4 is a better bet.

Dont forget the NI controllers come with the FULL version of traktor (worth $200)

Stanton - First of its kind, and first generation, great idea, bad exectution.
    VSM4 - "OK" quality the 4.1 has had alot of issues resolved, but many people have had issues.
    Denon - really nice controller in fairness, analogue mixer (nice) but pricy considering no software and some people say its cramped to use.

You could also look at the Vestax VCI400 which is a really nice deal too right now.

The S4 is the only one with a scratch certified Soundcard despite it not being an independent mixer.
    Last edited by deevey; 02-23-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Tech Mentor

I am under the same pressure. I am currently rocking a DN-X1700 mixer which I was going to sell, but might keep. I really enjoy the aspect of having a full mixer, but love the all in one solutions as well.

My big debate is spend the money on the VCI-400 EG or buy an S2 for cheap. So hard to decide. The 400 looks good, lots of rich features and a solid mapping. The S2 is just a great overall controller for the money. What to do, oh what to do.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

I just picked up an S2 as a mobile gig unit. I gotta say I was debating the same thing. But I couldn't justify the price difference. I don't ever play 4 decks.

Plus lol I already got 2000s. So this was just an add on to the list so I don't have to let me CDJs out of my sight lol. But if I were just a single controller I would probably have sprung for the VCI-400. For what it has, it really is the end all be all to me.

Personally if I were you I would just get the 400 and end it. The S2 is AWESOME for the $. But I feel you may feel like you are missing out on things if you really want the 400s features, then end up adding things like midi fighters, and other stuff to supplement the different, thus spending more money then you think.

I say S2 or the Denon, i wanna say the Stanton because it has its heart in the right spot but it just seems like it just doesnt cut it. The S2 has amazing traktor useability so you cant go wrong there if thats the program you choose to use. It really comes down to what you want man.

Tech Mentor

I'm loving my new S2. Was an upgrade from an old Vestax TR-1. And really can't complain with the great value with the "spring sale" pricing that's going on right now.
    13" Macbook Air (OS 10.8/256GB SSD/4GB RAM) | Traktor S2
    Latest DJ Recording: The Wedding Set (40 Minute House Set)

Tech Mentor

I have come to the conclusion that it really does not matter what anyone says because it is just not helping! haha

I really want the 400, its just justifying the expense with the S2 is such an attractive price.

I agree though, if I were in potatobum's position it would be no question with the 400. Now I have an X1 and DN-X1700. I wouldn't mind a pair of the new SC3900's and to supplement that with the 400.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Tech Student

wow guys, this was really quite helpful!
    the thing is, that as much as the VCI400 looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING i just can't justify spending 900 dollars on a controller, while i'm only 1 pro bono gig in on DJing...
    so, for now i think i'm gonna kick it with the S2, and maybe at some point, dig in with the VCI400, but hopefully by then they'll have a VCI40,000 haha
    thanks for the suggestions/comments guys!

potatobum

If you're relying on your computer for the music, having a stand alone mixer isn't *that* important. I wouldn't let it deter you from picking one over the other.

Also, if you're not stuck on Traktor, you might want to look at the Itch...I have no experience with it, but I've heard lots of good things about it and its below your price range.
    nope.

For Serato Itch, check out the VCI-300mkII on sale right now for $500, I'm sure you can get it for less if you ask one of the online retailers (proaudiostar, zzounds, agiprodj).

Top quality product that has been tried and tested for many years and it's still going strong :-)

It's a 2 deck controller without the effects on board so you also have to ask yourself if you're ok to try out Itch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast