Producing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Producing

Default Producing

Okay so I know this is a DJ forum but I recently started trying to producing my own stuff ( DJing with ableton kinda makes it difficult not to, tempting you all the time with just a switch of the screen lol )

and I was just curious to know how many other DJs on here are into producing as well as DJing and could give me some starting advice even if pointing me in the direction of some forums that would help me, because im really intrested.

And was also wondering if remixing or mashing or whatever is really producing or not since alot of my friends say it isn't since you do that live on stage any way and sitting down taking hours to do it and make it all perfect is cheating =/ i don't think so tho lol
    anyways any advice is greatly appreciated.

first off, i think mashups/remixes/blends are a type of producing, but don't go slapping your name on it without giving proper credit (ex. Original Producer(s) - Name Of Song/Created Name [Your Rmx])

as far as creating your entirely original stuff, ableton is a good tool, along with logic, reason, acid, even garageband (it's like logic's slower little brother). advice i can give is to get as many instruments/samples as you can, it really opens up your creative potential (and doesn't make you sound like every other "SFB" out there :P). also, you can't rush/force it. music will come to you naturally, just let it flow. it'll take time, but it's worth it.

when i was beginning (i guess you could say i still am really) the beatgridding/drawing in ableton and logic really helped me out. it'll let you easily draw in and modify your patterns.

EDIT: invest in a midi keyboard if you don't have one already.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I have dj'n for approx 11 years and picked producing and up until recently had only dabbled in producing.
    Now I am more serious about producing/remixing my own tracks. I guess you could say this came about when I started into Ableton as well.

Currently I am using Fl.Studio, Ableton and Cubase for production mainly with Reason, ReBirth and various VST's on the side.

Hipnotikk is right into suggesting a midi keyboard.
    Also search google, youtube for:

music theory tutorials
    mastering tutorials
    ableton tutorials etc...

youtube - search MDL, NFX, Acephincter they have some great vids up for beginners.

primeloops.com have some tutorials on Ableton, Reason and Fl.Studio

http://www.warbeats.com aimed moretowards Fl.Studio but some of the practices there are the same no matter what DAW you use.

http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4444

this thread has a bunch of links and info on production as well.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

I hardly ever do anything dj-related. I mostly produce. I use this forum because you can learn a lot from people that do dj.

I've used FL for almost three years now, and even though a lot of people bitch about it, I still think it's a powerful tool if you know how to use it. Learn music theory, or at least scales and such.

Definitely buy a midi keyboard. Or (gasp) a hardware synth. I own a microkorg and I love it. Taking the time to learn to use it taught me a lot about oscillator shapes, filters, evelopes, etc...

And have fun. Producing is raw.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

can i just jump in and ask a question here ... why get a midi keyboard?

I think i have an idea what the answer is but with the ability to just draw your notes in on fruity , ableton etc what is your view on teh need of a midi keyboard?

Cheers
    Gav

PS I'm a noob that really wants to produce & DJ but don't think i have what it takes so if my questions seem dumb thats why. I'm a bedroom everything and will be forever me thinks.
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

MIDI Keyboards add a lot of functionality. Yeah, you can draw your notes in on the piano roll, and you can use your mouse to do filter sweeps, and that works for a lot of people.

When trying to find a good melody it's much easier for me to just bang on the notes until something comes to fruition, and if I am playing with effects it's a lot easier to use the knobs and faders. Really it's a personal thing. A lot of people will tell you that using a MIDI keyboard will make your life a lot easier. It might not for you, but it can never really hurt.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Pretty much exactly what i thought, just a bit more natural. The reason i asked the way i did was to try and get an answer without leading anyone with my thoughts to much. I find that sometimes it makes it easy for people to just say "yes thats right"

What i was thinking was drum beats must feel a bit more natural to drum out with your fingers rather than draw them in but was wondering if there was anything else i wias missing.

I might just buy a korg mini key thing to see how much easier it makes messing with music. I love trying things out but just waste hours not getting anywhere. I wish i had more freinds that were into this kind of stuff then you just bounce stuff off eachother. All my mates just seem to grown up for all this stuff hahahaha or thats the way they see it! BOOORING GITS !
    M I S T E R M O L E Y M O L E
    part of the digital revolution

I'd recommend getting a pad controller for drumming rhythms and a keyboard for everything else. It's a personal thing again, but yeah.

everything is more natural for me when I'm playing it and not drawing it in. Though, for rhythms, I live in Redrum in Reason. It's how I've pretty much learned how to make drum patterns
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMoleyMole View Post
    Pretty much exactly what i thought, just a bit more natural. The reason i asked the way i did was to try and get an answer without leading anyone with my thoughts to much. I find that sometimes it makes it easy for people to just say "yes thats right"

What i was thinking was drum beats must feel a bit more natural to drum out with your fingers rather than draw them in but was wondering if there was anything else i wias missing.

I might just buy a korg mini key thing to see how much easier it makes messing with music. I love trying things out but just waste hours not getting anywhere. I wish i had more freinds that were into this kind of stuff then you just bounce stuff off eachother. All my mates just seem to grown up for all this stuff hahahaha or thats the way they see it! BOOORING GITS !
    yeah, physically manipulating something, in my opinion, gives you the ability to make more quality music. i couldn't imagine experimenting with chords by drawing them in :P you'd be bald by the time you come up with an 8 bar phrase haha.

as far as the korg nanokey or whatever goes, i wouldn't expect much :P if you're serious, invest in at least a microchord. the korg won't get you very far (see ean's review, or any review for that matter).
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

If you want a little MIDI controller there are TONS of options. M-Audio makes some decent MIDI controllers for the cheap. Really, all you need to start are some keys, knobs and faders and you should be fine.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast