Headphone Mixing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Headphone Mixing

Hi all

when I see Armin Van Buuren and Markus Schulz mix, as they're mixing in the next track, they have their headphones on.

how do they know how the transitions are going on when they have the headphones on?

is there something im missing? usually in my headphones, I hear 2 songs playing loud then when I have em sync'd, I take off my headphones then mix in the other track listening to the monitors and occasionally listen to my headphone to adjust

Tech Guru

Just the same way you listen to adjust, except some people find it easier to monitor both the mix and the track your bringing in, helps me hear if its drifting better, not sure why; maybe because its make it easier to associate the sounds as your bringing them up.

Tech Mentor

well i mean, how do you know if the track you're bringing in is louder than then one playing?

is the headphone cue'in accurate as the speakers that are playin out loud?

cuz in my headphones, both tracks are just playing loud as oppose to the outside speakers

Because they're listening to the master channel in their headphones?
    I blow stuff up

Exactly. They are mixing fully in their headphones, and using the master channel cue to hear exactly what is going on. Once they have the track slowly mixed in they either turn off the cue of the channel they are mixing in and listen to the master, or turn the knob on the DJM over full master.

Essentially they're just using their headphones as monitor speakers. Nothing to fancy.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Some people find it easier to monitor both the mix and the track your bringing in, helps me hear if its drifting better, not sure why;
    Theres no latency between the monitor and your ear (@ 1m about 10ms if i remember right).

Essentially they're just using their headphones as monitor speakers. Nothing to fancy.
    I'm pretty sure I saw Armin using IEM's + Headphones. Possibly running the master out though the headphones and cue on the IEM's or vice versa - could be wrong mind you, but would make sense and be better than relying on crappy (and ridiculously loud) stage monitoring when touring.

I prefer cueing entirely in headphones rather than using monitors to be honest. Mainly because I quite often don't have any monitors and am used to it.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

^ same.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Asdrn View Post
    Because they're listening to the master channel in their headphones?
    This and VU meters. You should be using the VU meters more than your ears for matching volume anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast