Things I Learned About DJing During a House Party Last Night
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Things I Learned About DJing During a House Party Last Night

This was by no means my first gig, but this has definitely been the roughest out of them all. I wasn't really happy with my performance, but it could've been worse I guess. The main thing was just how over the top the party got, and not even really in a good way. Some people came up to me and were genuinely nice and were interested in what I was doing and very respectful, but for the most part, it wasn't a great time. Below is a couple of things I learned about DJs at house parties from last night.

Make sure the house you play at has been re-wired IN THIS CENTURY.
    Free cheap liquor is not a good idea.
    Your DJ partner should not be on your decks when he's coked up.
    Always, ALWAYS check your cables. Especially the ones leading to the subwoofer and speakers. It sucks when they start cutting in and out.
    Getting the finger when you tell a chick you don't have her song and then her telling you you did a great job at the end of the night cancel each other out.
    You are allowed to knock out the dude from a rival college who throws up in the bushes and then comes up and takes a swing at you for not playing Party Rock Anthem again (I'm guessing coke played a role in this as well)
    At the end of the night, say fuck it and play Y.M.C.A.

So while it was an incredibly successful party, I was rather dissatisfied with the whole night. Regroup and try again next time I guess
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

honestly you just always need someone to run point on security. It's tough to find someone who will do that and not get drunk but you need to have some sort of security there to push people away and make sure they don't fuck up your shit. After doing my fair share of house parties that's the biggest thing I've learned.

What Frank said x100.

When I first started doing house parties I was doing it solo. can't tell you how many times things went wrong because of the drunken idiots falling on the table where the gear is set up, or getting angry about not playing there song, etc.

Now that I got involved with an entertainment company amongst my friends and I, I always have a deckmate as well as a guy just running interference for us and making sure wires stay put etc.

Moral of the story? GET A CREW.
    Macbook Pro, Traktor Pro 2, VMS4.1, Akai LPD8, Numark Omni Control, Hercules MK4, Ikea Controller Stand
    Th3-Paint-House Soundcloud
    Like Th3-Paint-House on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Your DJ partner should not be on your decks when he's coked up.
    This makes me giggle.
    nope.

Ah, gotta love those parties. Once ended a party of playing house music all night with Queen - Break Free. The remaining public went absolutely mental.

Also once some guy closed the curtains hanging in front of me while I was still playing. "Sorry," he said, "I forgot that you were still there."
    He must have been wondering all night where that loud music was coming from, GOD some people are stupid.

But seriously, those parties make the best memories
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Tech Mentor

blogger.com is that way -->>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Tech Mentor

Drunken idiots are the worst anywhere that people have access to you. I did a party not too long ago where this drunk chick was grinding up against me and here I am trying to DJ and then she gets all pissed that I'm not dancing with her and then of course wants to DJ herself. Then a husband and wife get in a fight and the wife picks me to tell her life story to and why she is mad at the husband. Blah Blah Blah. I did a 70's themed New Years Eve party at a bar once and this drunken fool just wanted to hear "Brick House" over and over again until I finally had to get someone to get him away from me.

Did you get paid?

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Guru

I've done a couple never again not worth the aggro

Ouch man, seriously sounds like a rough ass night. Those guests need to control their drug consumption... If people were acting like that while I was DJing I would pack up my shit and bounce. I'm not dealin' with whacked out druggies all night long unless I have some solid security.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast