New Dubstep track Check it out!!
    Tech Mentor

Default New Dubstep track Check it out!!

A friend of mine and me have been working on this one its our first collab, check it out and let me know what you think!

it sounds amateur somehow. you need to work on creating more complex sounding synths, as these all sound like basic tones. structurally, it is a good track, just the SOUNDS in the arrangement are not inspiring at all. are you using canned drums? if so, try to liven them up more with EQing, reverbs on the sounds and in return channels, etc.

Tech Mentor

its sounds amature because it is amature have been doing this for about only 4 months so all the sounds im using are just presets from synths i have, think the one i used on this track is a tal noise maker. i do agree about the lack inspiration, what are canned drums? and what are return channels? are you refering to using buses and using plugins on the buses?

"canned" is probably not a widely used expressions, sorry about that! by "canned" I mean samples from drum packs, etc. something very basic and raw and easily available that can just be grabbed out of a folder and thrown right into a track and will work more or less. to me they sound "dry," very rigid, dead, and uninspired.
    what DAW are you using? it would be easier to explain sends/returns to you within the actual DAW you have, to make it a bit easier to comprehend, but basically, each channel has "sends". turning them up all the way will cause all of the sound in that channel to also be sent to a "return" channel. at this separate, external channel, you can apply a lot of additional effects to the original sound, and the two are heard simultaneously, but the audio of the original is still clearly there. the reason i saw you should use them is because applying a reverb to a kick will wash it out and it wont have punch, it will sound soft, but have a kick and sending it to a reverb on a return channel will give you BOTH a punchy kick and the fading, soft decay of the reverb.
    your problem is that you are using presets which sound very, embarassingly basic. you can use the tune you have written out in MIDI and just change the synth that is making the sound itself. make it more complex, play with more itneresting presets and see how the affect the composition. experiment with modulation of various parameters.
    I hope this helped.

i listened to it again, and honestly, if you used more complex and interesting synths, you would have a good track. you dont use the shitty, over-done wobbling, especially what grinds my fucking gears is the now completely beaten-to-death bullshit of doing the wobbling, then changing the pitch, and the cut-off LFO speed in the same way. ugh... thanks for not going for the worst of the worst genre stereotypes.

Tech Mentor

using logic and about sends I do use them mainly putting compression,reverb, and delay on three sends that i dial into other channels. the drums are all routed to one bus with a with compression on it and i put another send on the snare with some reverb. two elements in this track are "canned" as u say, which is one of the kicks and one of the snare the rest are all generated. i use them because i cannot get ultrabeat to spit out a heavy kick or good snare, but as i said im still an ameture and dont know what 99.99% of the knobs do :/