Training for CDJ's using traktor and a midi keyboard.

Default Training for CDJ's using traktor and a midi keyboard.

lately i've been using alexis Qx49 to control traktor, it works perfetly, i can mix smoothly with this no problems. But since there's a well known dj moving to the same building i live in i might start learning how to use cdj's and get some gigs with him, he's a really cool guy.

so let's say i have 4 knobs free, 2 for each deck, what should i modulate with these knobs to try and copy cdj mixing..

Phase meter? bpm slider?

PS: i already have a knob assigned to key.

Honestly, practicing on a keyboard won't give you the feel or enable you to "copy" a pair of CDJs and a mixer.

What I do is put my music on two flash drives and drive 20 minutes to the nearest guitar center. They have a CDJ2000/DJM900 setup that I'll practice on for hours. Never had anyone say a word to me, they just leave me alone to my studies

The knobs aren't going to do a thing for you for CDJ emulation. Primary buttons you'll be using on CDJs are Cue, Play, Loop In, and Loop Out. You'll also need to adjust tempo and phase - tempo +, tempo -, pitchbend +, pitchbend - (these aren't the exact names but you should be able to figure it out from there). As DjEryx said though, a keyboard isn't going to do anything for you in terms of getting you used to CDJs. You can sort of beatmatch using the setup I suggested above mapped to separate buttons on your keyboard, but it's going to be a pain in the ass and is going to feel nothing like a CDJ anyway.

If you're serious about learning CDJs, either practice on someone else's (or guitar center's) or buy a pair of CDJ 400s/350s or better, or an S2 or S4 (with the S2 being the cheapest option of that lot by far) and beatmatch manually with that setup. You could go with a lower end midi controller too like a vestax spin or equivalent (pitch faders and platters being the key) but with the resolution on those you'll be pretty frustrated trying to learn and it's still going to feel pretty different from a CDJ. If you are trying to learn to beatmatch in Traktor (which it sounds like you are?) then you should also turn off your phase meter and possibly even your BPMs to challenge yourself and be able to beatmatch without visual aids.

I was planning on getting an S2, but here in DR your not gonna be taken serious unless you can use cdjs.

Like you said, im not trying to copy the feel of a cdj, im just trying to learn how to beatmatch without any visual aid but the waveform, and the only thing i can practice on right now is my midi keyboard.

What i wanted to know is what shouold i modulate in traktor, the phase meter, the key and the tempo fader(bpm adjuster) ?

Quote Originally Posted by JulianVeloso View Post
    I was planning on getting an S2, but here in DR your not gonna be taken serious unless you can use cdjs.

Like you said, im not trying to copy the feel of a cdj, im just trying to learn how to beatmatch without any visual aid but the waveform, and the only thing i can practice on right now is my midi keyboard.

What i wanted to know is what shouold i modulate in traktor, the phase meter, the key and the tempo fader(bpm adjuster) ?
    First, read my post: I explicitly listed what you're going to need to map: tempo +, tempo - (both could be a single knob/fader, would work much better on a fader; otherwise map each one to a key), pitchbend +, pitchbend - (you have to map these to keys on your keyboard - a knob will not work).

Second, the only one of those commands you'll need that you could potentially map to a knob is tempo, and that's going to be a bitch controlling it with a knob. You don't need a knob mapped to key to beatmatch. You need tempo adjustment and pitchbending/nudging. Phase meter is only a visual indicator of how far off you are from having your tracks beatmatched according to the beatgrid - you're not going to map anything to it.

Keep in mind though that even if you map all of that you're only going to be marginally better off than using just your mouse and keyboard. In fact, you may just want to use the keyboard to begin with instead of your midi keyboard, especially if you only have knobs available on your midi keyboard to map.

why not go jam with the guy? if he has his gear with him thats the best way to learn mate
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by keeb View Post
    First, read my post: I explicitly listed what you're going to need to map: tempo +, tempo - (both could be a single knob/fader, would work much better on a fader; otherwise map each one to a key), pitchbend +, pitchbend - (you have to map these to keys on your keyboard - a knob will not work).

Second, the only one of those commands you'll need that you could potentially map to a knob is tempo, and that's going to be a bitch controlling it with a knob. You don't need a knob mapped to key to beatmatch. You need tempo adjustment and pitchbending/nudging. Phase meter is only a visual indicator of how far off you are from having your tracks beatmatched according to the beatgrid - you're not going to map anything to it.

Keep in mind though that even if you map all of that you're only going to be marginally better off than using just your mouse and keyboard. In fact, you may just want to use the keyboard to begin with instead of your midi keyboard, especially if you only have knobs available on your midi keyboard to map.
    Thanks, i'll map these straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    why not go jam with the guy? if he has his gear with him thats the best way to learn mate
    he hasn't move here yet, but i'll be sticking with him as soon as he does.