Can I do this with a Xone 92?
    Tech Mentor

Default Can I do this with a Xone 92?

Hello all, I’m just looking for your thoughts and opinions to see if you can help me decide on a mixer to purchase. I am going round in circles and just can’t make a decision. Please help!!

I have been out of it for some time and after much consideration between CDJs and TTs, decided to keep with the beloved 1210’s and managed to pick up a couple of 5yr old MK5’s for £500, sweet! I have been using Traktor Pro 2 and the iPad with TouchOSC as a controller and will be upgrading to the new Traktor Pro with time code due out in the spring and will then implement a couple of controllers.

I just can’t decide on a mixer though, so much choice now however, I have whittled it down to one of the following:

Denon DNX1700
    Pioneer DJM900 Nexus
    Vestax PMC 580 (can’t find much about this on the forum but I love Vestax products)
    Xone 92

I really like the idea of the Xone 92 (not fussed on the DB4 as I just wouldn’t use all it has to offer) with an external soundcard and was wondering if somebody is able to confirm if it is possible to route Traktor into Ableton using a Xone:92 so I can implement Ableton effects into the mix while recording in Ableton at the same time?

If this is possible and easy to achieve then I have my mixer!

Thanks in advance, fantastic forum!

The 92 has two aux sends, so you should be able to do that. It's been done.

You shouldnt actually need a mixer to do that...
    I'm not sure if you are on Windows or Mac, but there are quite a few threads on here about routing audio from traktor into ableton.

So you should be able to route traktor into ableton using software (Soundflower or JACK or Similar) and then both record in ableton, and go into what ever mixer you decide to get.

However i assume you will want to be mixing externally - but you should be able to use your soundcard to send channel A and B into channels 1 and 2 into the mixer, then have the master out in your mixer going to speakers, and the tape / record output go back into your soundcard and record in ableton / audacity or something.

If you want to mix externally and also use abketon effects on just one of the channels and record at the same time.. Well.. That would be a little bit different / difficult i think
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the replies – as it stands, I only have two 1210’s so I am building this up from scratch. I now have the dilemma of choosing a controller (or two)!

I would like to be mixing externally and would plan on taking my controllers and soundcard on the road (that’s why I am thinking more Xone 92 as the majority of clubs I know have these in use).

Ideally, I will be using an external mixer with timecode vinyl and would like the abil-ity to incorporate vinyl – REAL RECORDS (just for the good old classics / promos etc). So the idea is to have the 1210’s playing decks A&B with a controller used for browsing and control of the FX on decks A&B and the mixer will provide me with the ability to switch lines between the DVS and vinyl using the phono/line function.

I plan on using a second controller for basic functions in Traktor to control deck C&D which also means if I am playing out at a place where there are no functioning turntables, I can use the controllers to manipulate the 4 decks in external mixer mode (unless any of you good people have any other ideas for a better setup)?.

I would then like to route this Traktor setup into Ableton so I can implement the Ableton effects over the live mix using TouchOSC. Ideally, I will be able to assign each deck from Traktor to an individual audio track in Ableton so that the effects in Ableton can be used over each individual channel.

Will this be possible? Also, what would you suggest between two X1’s or 2 K2’s?

Thanks again

P.S. I will be using a HP Pavilion dv7 laptop (PC)

Tech Guru

the nexus makes for a simpler rig...not messing with phono cables and external sound cards.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

As stated, for the traktor to ableton route you should go internal.

However I'd say the 900 nexus is a better choice all in all. Built in soundard with pure digital fidelity audio. Plus you can easily switch to midi mode and use the mixer as a controller (possibly for traktor to ableton internal mode).

Plus traktor scratch DVS support plus all the fx on the 900 which are the best yet that pio have offered (ignore A&H fanboy dissing, it will cloud your judgment unless you want to be a fanboy too)

900>92 any day of the week.

If you get a soundcard I strongly recommend the audio 10, plenty of ins and outs and the thru feature really makes switching between vinyl and control very easy as its the same line cable you just switch it in software.

An x1 plus a k2 is sweet.
    Last edited by MaxOne; 02-27-2012 at 08:19 AM.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Havent read through the full thread 'cos im still half asleep, but.

Quote Originally Posted by crumarbit View Post
    also means if I am playing out at a place where there are no functioning turntables, I can use the controllers to manipulate the 4 decks in external mixer mode (unless any of you good people have any other ideas for a better setup)?.
    if your using timecoded vinyl and buying an external soundcard, traktor also comes with timecoded CD's. Works exactly the same, and theres a significantly higher chance the clubs will have CDJs

P.s good luck using the 4 decks, anything more than the occasional 3rd +samples just sounds like audio soup
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Mentor

Thanks for the info, I was swaying more to the Xone92 instead of the DJM900 for a number of reasons, mainly nostalgia and wanted a system that incorporated an external soundcard so I can just pick that up along with a couple of controllers and set up out of the house.

After hearing what you have to say, I am interested again in the DJM900, it will be much easier to achieve what I want to achieve with this.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    An x1 plus a k2 is sweet.
    What are the advantages of this compared to having two K2’s? Also, if I went for the DJM900 am I correct in saying I could just take those out, plug into any mixer and just use the controllers for mixing? Could I still use turntables with this setup or would I still need an external soundcard?

if you don't go internal on your laptop from the traktor throught ableton AND THEN out to the mixer you'll add latency to your audio signal where no one has to be.

going internal would be better, and for this the mixer question is irrelevant.

i would only choose an xone92 if i want the audiophile quality or the 4 band EQ or the 2 analogue filters, for everything else there are cheaper solutions ;o)
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Tech Mentor

I think i will be using Jack Audio - is that what you mean by going internal?

Thanks