replacing technics rca benefits

Default replacing technics rca benefits

My RCA's on my techs r in good condition but are the original pair. im going to get my techs self grounded and led's changed and i thought about also just changing the rca's while there.

My main question is if i change the rca's will it change sound quality that much and will it affect the scratch scope on traktor like make it more acurate because of better quality.

It will have no effect whatsoever on the sound quality unless you mess it up somehow so the RCAs don't fully connect or something. The benefit to changing the RCA is you can put on sturdier RCA plugs or have sturdier (or more flexible) cables, you can make them shorter, longer, etc. Sometimes you can get some hum in the deck because of old cables that have been pinched too many times or have some other kind of connection problem; that's a good time to change them. But as far as getting better sound quality from higher priced cables, well, some audiophiles will tell you I'm wrong but I don't think you can hear any difference unless there's something really wrong with one of the cables (and I'm pretty sure the laws of physics back me up).
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Student

This post has been deleted by its author.
    I homologate it is certainly challenging for me in-full to indict newsworthy academic essay fairly and speedily. My cousin peps me capitally to detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskarapot View Post
    This post has been deleted by its author.
    No it hasn't unfortunately; the spam is still in your sig.

Tech Mentor

I'd contest the changing of RCAs having no effect on sound quality.

Less effort is required to push the signal down a low-impedence wire. The signal from the deck to the mixer isn't powered: electricity is used for the motor only, so replacing an original/old/worn RCA can do wonders for the sound (which I have HEARD with my own ears).

What you can even do is have detachables installed. Have a really high quality wire installed from the PCB (or direct from the tonearm, if possible) to some mounted plugs on the turntable. Then, you can replace your RCA cables as often as you want, or get right-angled ones for a cleaner setup.

And getting the table internally grounded is a good move. One less wire to have to rig up; one less wire to get crimped.

With the LEDs, white is a winner. See if you can get one/some installed in the pitch fader, too.

Tech Guru

Gold plated connections are a 50/50 upgrade. With all things electrical, a signal or current is only as strong as its weakest link. The subtle signal change you get from an analog turntable sending a signal through its aluminum wires to a gold plated connector, down a copper wire, to a mixer (be it a digital mixer or analog) is negligible at best. You, as a human being will never "hear" the difference, and your gear will never know the difference.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Mentor

i recommend this article called "the ten biggest lies in audio." (note the link is to a pdf file.) the cable lie is listed as No. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    replacing an original/old/worn RCA can do wonders for the sound (which I have HEARD with my own ears)
    Yes like I said if there is something wrong with one of the cables you will hear the difference. I've replaced cables on my techs to get rid of an annoying hum that developed over time, probably because of something wrong with the connection to the tonearm. But if the cables are in good condition the sound won't be any different with one cable vs. another. Obviously, look for cables with good insulation and decent connectors, etc., but the sound is going to be the same whether you use these:

Amazon.com: Absolute HYPR-20 Hyper Series RCA Interconnect Audio Cables, 20 Feet (Blue): Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415KVHOO4AL.@@AMEPARAM@@415KVHOO4AL

or, say, these:

Amazon.com: UNLIMITED EDITION™ AUDIO INTERCONNECT CABLE (RCA), 5.0 METER - 16.40 FT. PAIR: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312ur7E42mL.@@AMEPARAM@@312ur7E42mL
    Last edited by djproben; 02-29-2012 at 01:08 AM. Reason: remove incorrect note

^^ Those links don't work for me..

Can anyone recommend some good RCA's with low loss on Amazon.co.uk or similar (i'm UK based). I'm struggling to find something that will fit the bill and this is my first time doing this.

Well the links were just to demonstrate the point; the $8 cables were called Absolute HYPR-20 Hyper Series RCA Interconnect Audio Cables, 20 Feet (Blue): Car Electronics and the $4800 cables were called UNLIMITED EDITION™ AUDIO INTERCONNECT CABLE (RCA), 5.0 METER - 16.40 FT. PAIR: Electronics, so you can google those things if you want either one. The expensive ones are quite gorgeous, but it will cost you about the same as 2 CDJ 2000s to buy one pair of cables.

I went to an electronics store and bought decent RCAs for my techs for about $3. That's probably the easiest way to get cables if you have someplace near you, as you can look at them and see if it's what you want. If you're buying these for turntables look at the thread on this in this forum as there are several suggestions on there. There's a guy on ebay.co.uk selling cables that are perfect, and they come in different colors, if you're willing to pay a bit (I think they're 25 pounds).