Setting BPM's in Traktor 3.3

Default Setting BPM's in Traktor 3.3

Anyone know how to get around the wrong bpm setting w/ tracks in traktor? I play alot of hiphop...actually only hiphop (which i guess can throw the auto bpm off) and out of the thousands of tracks i have, 9 of 10 are way off in the bpm range that traktor pre determines. I saw the tutorial on beat gridding and even tried it on a few tracks. however i would have to quit my job and stay in front of my computer for a month to fix all my tracks this way. Any suggestions?

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

That's pretty much the only way to do it. You have to manually set it.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

What readings are you getting. You can set the BPM Detection Range to smaller values.
    I cant remeber what the default is but it may be 40 - 200 which is way to wide for HipHop.
    This is known to help but dont make the parameter to small or it just confuses Traktor.

If it's commercial enough hip-hop or a popular undeground track what I do is search for 'track name bpm' in Google and take the most common one I can find. Normally they're all fairly accurate. From there I drop the grid on the snare (as quite often the bass beat jumps all over the place and can be pretty confusing) and type in the BPM. Works 90% of the time and you can always tweak it yourself.

Saved me a lot of time and pain listening to crappy music over and over again!

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    What readings are you getting. You can set the BPM Detection Range to smaller values.
    I cant remeber what the default is but it may be 40 - 200 which is way to wide for HipHop.
    This is known to help but dont make the parameter to small or it just confuses Traktor.
    i will get readings anywhere from 69-120. most hiphop tracks in my experience are usually around the 80-100 range at the most. 120 crazy high. i will look into that default you talked about. i had no idea that you could adjust the range.

Quote Originally Posted by JAC View Post
    If it's commercial enough hip-hop or a popular undeground track what I do is search for 'track name bpm' in Google and take the most common one I can find. Normally they're all fairly accurate. From there I drop the grid on the snare (as quite often the bass beat jumps all over the place and can be pretty confusing) and type in the BPM. Works 90% of the time and you can always tweak it yourself.

Saved me a lot of time and pain listening to crappy music over and over again!
    thats a good idea. never thought to use the ol google for a bpm search. great suggestion thank you.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by advantix00 View Post
    i will get readings anywhere from 69-120. most hiphop tracks in my experience are usually around the 80-100 range at the most. 120 crazy high. i will look into that default you talked about. i had no idea that you could adjust the range.
    Traktor also has a habit of giving double BPM readings. Thats just a matter of hitting the -2 button to half the bpm.
    I find that a lot of hiphop has a bpm reading of 45 but is actually 90. Then its just hitting the x2 button.