How long were you spinning before you got paid?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How long were you spinning before you got paid?

Pretty standard question, but I'm interested to see the answers on here. I've heard stories from 10 years to a week.

How long had you been spinning before you got a serious gig (at a club/venue) that you got paid at?

Not talking house parties here with your buddies, talking real club/festival. Playing what YOU wanted (even if that happens to be top 40). And actually getting paid for it, not just a freebie gig to help get your name out or anything.

Everyone's got to have that one time where they know, they made that step.

I'm not anywhere where I want to be technically yet before I'd bring myself to play out, just interested in how long it took other people to feel comfortable at that point
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

I've been going 5 months, haven't gotten into a club but I'm just now trying to. First band I was in, we had our first show within 1 month of forming, and let me tell ya, it's nice to have all the time you need to prepare
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

I'm one of those bastards who got paid the first time i ever got onto a stage with a pair of cd's. DJ'ing on a tour for some rapper friends of mine.
    CHRIS Rice aka DJ-X
    http://www.iamdjx.com

Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Denon MC6000, Numark TT200, Midi Fighter

10 years.

It took me 10 years from the time I did my first bootleg (2002), to when I played my first proper club night (Bootie ATL last month).

I made $100, and it was the most fun I've had in years.
    Last edited by corporation; 02-29-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Had my first gig after 6 months, then decided I needed more time, waited another 6 months and have been playing regularly ever since allowign for some downtime when I've moved around, it's sometimes taken 3-4 months to get more gigs after I've relocated.(in the last 5 years I've lived in London, Melbourne and Adelaide)

These days I'm probably at a point where I "nearly" earn enought to live off it. I still work tho, this shit is an expensive job/hobby

maybe about 5 months from actually getting my own gear, then the gigs started rolling in

that was like 10 years ago O_O

my favorite first times as djing.

1. first paid gig was awesome
    2. first gig to djing for a crowd that was 1000+
    3. being flown out to dj for the first time.

few months after I took my "dj lessons"... when I felt I was comfortable enough with my skills. Called the guy who gave me the lessons and he tried me couple of days later. Never stopped since then. 30 ish years later, I don't know what is a weekend without djing.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Guru

About 3 years. But that was when cdjs weren't accepted in a Dj booth and your only option was records. In other words, you actually had to know how to Dj properly.

3 weeks,

I originally bought a VCI-300 and two Mackie thumps...perfect little setup!

Highschool student here so spreading your name wasnt hard and there were a ton of girls throwing sweet 16's n such at the time so i just threw out that i DJ'd to a girl looking and she highered me for a kindof cheap price of $150 but at the time i thought it was great. So then 3 weeks after receiving the gear in the mail i was doing very unsmooth mixes at her birthday party but no one seemed to notice.

about 6 months after buying traktor, learning to mix on that,
    bought CDJs, month later i played for free with my mate in one of the biggest bars in the town on a friday night,

month later got offered a sat night spot, played there twice, got a residency
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast