KRK Rokit 5 - G1 vs G2

Default KRK Rokit 5 - G1 vs G2

Alright DJTT,

I'm in the market for some studio monitors for my dj setup. I was going to go with some M-Audio AV40s ($115 for pair) cuz I really don't want to spend a ton of money right now. I was literally going to go into guitar center and buy these tomorrow. but...

I got to looking on craigslist and found a pair of KRK Rokit RP5s ($150 for pair) . Generation 1 though.. So besides the more ugly, boxy look of the 1st gens, is the sound quality really that much different than the G2s ($300 for pair)? I mean is it really worth spending twice the money for G2s??

-Sidenote- How do you guys feel about RP5s vs RP6s? Any opinions about this matter out there?

There is little difference between the G1 and G2 Rokits, The only problem with G1's is that 90% of them you see are used and abused, if you get a good condition pair of G1's go for it. (i think the G1's look better anyway)

Also RP6 > RP5 obviously, much better bass response on the 6's
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

The pair I found are pretty much brand new and still have the original box and packing. I'm gonna go pick em up tomorrow morning Should be much better than my 80 dollar hifi system!

Yeah youll love them, brilliant monitors, AFAIK theres very little difference in sound between gen1 and gen2,
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

I have first generation RP6 and second generation RP5s. Only difference other than the obvious in cone size is the look.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Alright, so I just picked up the RP5 G1s about an hour ago and hooked em up and I gotta say.. I freakin' love em already! They sound a hundred times better than what I was using before. I turned them almost all the way up and I could literally feel the speakers pushing air at me. It seriously blew my hair back!

So now I'm wondering how easy is it to blow these little suckers?? Cuz that's the last thing I would wanna do :/

Tech Guru

These things are stout. I haven't blown mine yet. Level set to +2 and use mixer to control. Full volume, no issues.

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."