Violinist joining me while playing my gigs...Odd request!?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Violinist joining me while playing my gigs...Odd request!?

So I got a mail today....from a lady called Ilse, who is a violinist.
    She has asked me if she can play along side me at some of my gigs this season and the coming one.

I am pretty flattered....she subscribed to my Youtube Channel and MSGed me on SoundCloud.
    However, the stuff I play is pretty damn hard...and I am not really able to picture her being able to really do much during my sets.

She seems pretty good....having worked with some BIGASS names.
    Paul van Dyke Carl Cox, Kanye West, Above n Beyond, Midnight Oil, Judge Jules etc

http://www.ilseviolin.com/fr_home.cfm

I think she might have the wrong idea of the style of trance I play....I dunno.

We have seen a local Duo here called EMP playing their live set with Violinsts.
    But it was part of their friendship circle and the tracks were written with violins in it. So playing it live worked really well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPO0W3LZfo8

I mean...they can plug their violins into a pedal-board and work it much like a guitarist.
    See Super Evil. This is Broken Toy playing Live with our mate Arno on Guitar.
    It works!

http://youtu.be/LyXRRd5kF98

What do you Psytrance fans think about this? I ask you....as you will be able tell me whether this is something you like\want\could listen to.

Its not the process of how we will do it...thats easy...its about whether it will fit to my style.

I could see her doing it to 1 or 3 of the tracks....but not contiously.

I play night time fullon.

Pretty much:

Absolum
    Damage
    ORCA
    Toxic
    B55
    Sinful Reactions
    Twisted System
    Azax Syndrome
    Phatmatix

etc..

What ya'll rate?

Last edited by sarasin; 02-28-2012 at 08:34 AM.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Convert

is she local? If so, there's no harm in meeting up for a jam or something, right?

Plus it's a cool way of mixing up what you normally do, might make you hear or think about your sets differently, and that's a good thing.

A club here in Dallas actually had an "electro" violinist come in. He had this lit up neon violin and played with the DJ. I did not go, but from the Facebook videos I saw, he and the DJ were rocking it.

Its been a few month, but I'll see if I can find a video.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Yeah....she is local!

I have no qualms with jamming with her...just want to hear from the Psyfans here...whether they would enjoy the violin over the style I play (its pretty damn specific).

BUT....I also play a range of Electro these days....maybe it better suited there?
    Thing is, I don't play Electro at the kind of parties she is wanting in on.

Maybe she could help getting me into those bigger Electro parties.

I am keen to check it out as always....just wondering and would like to hear some opinions.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"

im not the biggest psy-trance fan here, but i think anything with a violin gives me eargasms. One of my musical influences is Emancipator and they make some funky grooves, although not trance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZhPbjz7LoU

to me sometimes its a hit or miss, it depends on the crowd.
    I've heard a violinist here in before that played with a hip hop dj. As long as the violinist isnt trying to over power the music in general its ok. I love violins but when they are trying to compete with club speakers and they hit those high notes O_O

i know its not a club performance, but damn
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOBufg-xWuo

Cheers Chaps!

Tech Guru

I think thats ok to experiment but she knows that you are not a producer? Maybe shes used to play with producers who alredy thinked of violins in their music.

My fear is that you could loose your freedom of chosing any track to play next, you can start to do pré-planned sets all the time. Or keep on playing the same tune that she rocked with the violin all the time...

If you are planning to produce a Live set or something less flexible then a freestyle set, i think it would work. She needs to be on key and to add some drama atmosphere to your fullon night.
    All the Movie Makers of the horror genre put Violins on their soundtrack, it has to mean something right?

Quote Originally Posted by V-Hoff View Post
    I think thats ok to experiment but she knows that you are not a producer? Maybe shes used to play with producers who alredy thinked of violins in their music.

My fear is that you could loose your freedom of chosing any track to play next, you can start to do pré-planned sets all the time. Or keep on playing the same tune that she rocked with the violin all the time...

If you are planning to produce a Live set or something less flexible then a freestyle set, i think it would work. She needs to be on key and to add some drama atmosphere to your fullon night.
    All the Movie Makers of the horror genre put Violins on their soundtrack, it has to mean something right?
    Yeah..check it.

I don;t play clubs etc. Only big festivals and I play an hour.

So I have a playlist of brand new tracks prepared. So there is no choosing the next track etc. I play my current favs.

They put me on at a specific time and the crowd knows what they are gonna get from me...style wise. Its not a case of keeping the dancefloor interested.....they are lapping it up!

So its more a case of ...can the violinist keep up with me...and will she fit in...without overdoing it and making it sound SHIT!

i would do it!

violines can impact so fu**ing heavy on the listeners emotions, can be awesome!

but i don't know if an full hour of violines+psytrance would be something i would enjoy all the time, maybe it would be nicer to have parts with more violine action and parts with less, but hey, thats the tweaking i'm speaking from ^^

i guess you will find out at the jam or the first gig that you souldn't miss since you got the option now
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast