Question regarding powered speakers.

Default Question regarding powered speakers.

So i've been a bedroom dj for about a year now with my VCI-100 + Traktor. Recently i've recieved a couple of requests for djing some house parties during the summer, but the thing is I don't have any speakers. My budget is $200-$400(including tax), and i'm looking for a pair of 10" speakers. I've seen the JBL Eon 500's but they're too expensive. In a site called idjnow.com I found the 10" gemini dj speakers. In the site are two models, the -->GX1000<--(passive) & the -->GX1001<--(active). My question is, is it possible to buy 1 passive speaker and series it to 1 powered speakers?(Im cheap ) or is it better off to buy 2 powered speakers? I'm new with sound technology. If anyone has good speakers recommendations please post

Would using 2 passive speakers, and buying an external amp, be a cheaper solution? I found these check'em out and tell me what you think -->SoundPack300<--
    Last edited by mcbusta348; 04-23-2009 at 01:01 AM.

I would forgo getting cheap speakers and rent speakers in the meantime and charge the client the rental fees. Make sure you give the rental cost in the estimate or you run the risk of looking like you're pulling a fast one on them.

If you absolutely must have your own speakers, search craigslist for a used eon but make sure you check it out and sound test it before you hand over the cash. But i would strongly suggest saving up the cash and getting a decent passive and amp set up. Remember, you'll get what you pay for. You go cheap on your sound, you get cheap sound.

Tech Mentor

Speaker options for public address are legion, however, you really need to find out what you are looking for. Out of the box solutions delivering decent sound for larger crowds (personal estimate would be above 30 persons on the floor) will not be around for 400$. Making some speakers can be an option too. Of course rental has the big pro that you have insured equipment and don't have to cry if you blow speaker.

Anyway whatever you do, keep in mind: 10" is nowhere near large enough for serious levels take minimum 12" for the mids better two 12" or a 15" (which is the PA standard) you will need a subwoofer too which is at least 15" and of course needs its own amp. In descent quality you'de face around 1000 Euros for something like that on the German market ( just the basicTop speakers, Subwoofer and amp set up no frills)

HOWEVER, There's a lot of hybris being produced around speakers and amps, so if you let that apart and know exactly what you need it can get much cheaper.

For my own Guerilla-mini-raves (which are not commercial or professional or anything) I built a set which is quite popular in the German do it yourself community. It consists of 12" mid woofers, of course a horn tweeters (don`t ever buy piezos) and a 15" sub, but I think I'll upgrade the mids to 2 12" per top. The thing can be powered by a car hifi amp coupled with either an absurdly strong PC power supply (they are better than most hifi power supplies and can be found in dumpsters) or by car battery plus decent charger. However, the latter is rock bottom standard.
    Overall costs were around 350 Euros including wood and amp.

Anyway for the kind of fun outdoor party with a couple of dozen friends the thing works very nice, people (that includes the djs ) often make compliments about the sound and it is sufficiently loud to get the cops moving.
    If you get someone to translate it you could look it up at www.intertechnik.de - search for mystery pa.
    The system is based on P.Audio speakers, which are made in Taiwan and might be sold in the US as well

Tech Mentor

forgot to mention,
    basically it might be possible to hook up another passive speaker on one active one, although that doesn't make the set any louder.

If you really want to do that the electrical resistance minimum (ie the Ohms) of the Amp is the decisive factor to look for.

I DID THIS ALL LAST SUMMER!

assuming your going to remain small time for at least a year or two...
    GET ACTIVE SPEAKERS!
    *save space
    *less shit to lug around
    *less wires to worry about

with the JBL eons (the old ones) I was able to really bump any backyard with ease. Depending how much you charge 3-4 gigs will get them paid off.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

And don't discount the power of rentals. It's a good way to get a feel for equipment and see what it is you like, and get a better idea of what you need and how it works.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Another side note i just though of, dont always measure a speaker by its max wattage or even its rms rateings. Loudness has many factors other than power
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Tech Wizard

If you're just starting out and not going to be doing mobile gigs every weekend, then you should probably rent right now. I don't know where you're located, but if you're anywhere near a decent size city you should try to find a place that rents quality powered speakers, like QSC, Yorkville, RCF, Mackie...etc.

Much Thanks for the replies. Hmmm, I'll search around for a place where they have rental speakers. I'll probably just save up for some JBL eon's.