Where to start DJ'ing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Tech Student
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1

    Default Where to start DJ'ing

    So I am about 16 and i just came upon dj'ing in and interview and it looks so sick and i really want to get into it and i dont know where to start. If anyone give their personal inputs on good places to start, money needed, etc etc that would be great.

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    487

    Default

    I would recommend the search function + google

    My advise would be to download the Traktor Pro 2 demo or Virtual DJ and play around with it for a while. Then, as you understand the software and learn the theories behind mixing, you can assess your needs and decide whether you want to invest in controllers/mixers/turntables, etc.

  3. #3
    Tech Guru Cook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    step 1: buy this: http://www.smithsonmartin.com/emulator-dvs/
    step 2: get all da bitchez
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

  4. #4
    DJTT Tankard fullenglishpint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St Albans, UK
    Posts
    7,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I would recommend the search function + google

    My advise would be to download the Traktor Pro 2 demo or Virtual DJ and play around with it for a while. Then, as you understand the software and learn the theories behind mixing, you can assess your needs and decide whether you want to invest in controllers/mixers/turntables, etc.
    Do this

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodless View Post
    step 1: buy this: http://www.smithsonmartin.com/emulator-dvs/
    step 2: get all da bitchez
    Don't do this
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

  5. #5
    Tech Mentor Lilac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Make sure you'll stick with it if you try to DJ. It's an expensive hobby and it takes more time than most people realise.

  6. #6
    Tech Convert
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ohio USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I too am new to everything with DJing and did not have any clue where to start and still don't really. I download torrents and came upon the DJ for dummies book but have not read into it but a chapter. Not sure how useful it will be or not.

    Also I was going to end up making a post but I am glad to see you made this.
    There is a site digitaldjtips.com that has a short 4 hour online video course thats $47 USD. That is just something that I also stubbled upon searching for DJ stuff. Not sure if that is a good thing for newcomers looking for information or not but maybe someone will comment on that?

  7. #7
    Tech Guru Cybertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Protip: don't torrent
    ___________________
    Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

  8. #8
    Tech Convert kilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Protip: don't torrent
    for real. that goes for everyone.
    i can really tell the difference when some guy has all lossless songs and then some guy follows him with 320k songs. it really kills the mood. :eek:

  9. #9
    Tech Mentor
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kilen View Post
    i can really tell the difference when some guy has all lossless songs and then some guy follows him with 320k songs. it really kills the mood. :eek:
    I don't believe you, calling you out! lol. Unless you have the most discerning hearing known to man, I suppose. Or if the DJ is using tracks just labeled as 320kbps but are actually lower quality than that, which is common.

    Otherwise, on a club system, you will never tell the difference.

  10. #10
    Tech Guru Cybertrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    631

    Default

    inb4 Mostafa.
    ___________________
    Quote Originally Posted by earl panda View Post
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •