Regular Macbook for Djing/Producing?
    Tech Student

Default Regular Macbook for Djing/Producing?

Hello DJTT,
    I am currently on a budget for a new laptop and I came across a good deal in which I can get a Macbook (not pro) for a good price. I was just wondering if it would be good enough for my needs. Keep in mind I would be using this for live shows as I start to get more gigs.

-I run Serato Itch
    -My tracks are always going to be stored & played externally (My flash drive or my external HD)
    -Recently got a Kontrol s2 for fun, So Im also going to run Traktor once in a while
    -For my producing needs I will be running Reason 5, Ableton 8 & Also most likely Reaper (Not all at once of course)
    -Maschine software

That's all i would basically be using if for. Here are the specs of the 13' Macbook.
    2.1GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive, OSX Lion 10.7.2

I also came across another deal for a 15' Macbook Pro (Non-Unibody), Specs are
    2.2 ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 gb ram, 120gb hard drive, OSX Lion 10.7.2

I am leaning a little bit more towards the 13' macbook because of the 4gb Ram, But Which one would be the better choice for me?

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

You could always upgrade the RAM yourself for just a few bucks.

I've got a MacBook Pro with similar specs and for what you are trying to do it is good enough. Since they are used and already a few years old this could shoot back it you if they fail.

A cheap Windows-notebook (with warranty etc.) might be a better choice if you are tight on money.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

get the 13" if it has the newer mobo, can't remember in which year they raised the limit to 8gb with regular mb. The ram cap for pre unibody was 4gb so if the 13" has the same limit, go for the 15".

if the 13' is the unibody MBP go for that, its the same one i have, tho ive upgraded the HDD to 500gb (still on 4gb RAM tho) and i run quite heavy VSTs in ableton with ease, only using max 20% CPU
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by HedgeHog View Post
    A cheap Windows-notebook (with warranty etc.) might be a better choice if you are tight on money.
    Just what I might end up doing, not too cheap though around a good $700

I have a regular Macbook (mid 2010) and love it. I also have a early 2010 Macbook Pro and i prefer my Macbook. Runs Ableton and Traktor no problems

Tech Mentor

The *only* thing you might have trouble with is if you rely on VSTs (in Ableton or Reaper) but if you reWire, you should be fine. (I've noticed that I can run a hundred instances of Thor at once and use like 8% of a 3.0 Quad, but I can only run like 5 instances of Massive...)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud