Long or Short mixes in your area?
    Tech Wizard

Default Long or Short mixes in your area?

In your area, do the DJ's at popular clubs tend to play complete tracks with long transitions or drop new tracks every minute after playing only first verse and chorus? Or do they mix it up depending on the time?

I am not sure if it is because I am older, but I have always liked sets where you don't even know a transition is happening until it is clearly a different song, but it seems that the crowds today in my area want new tracks quickly.

XpoZur

it depends on the guy dj'ing, and the type of music he's playing.

at the clubs i frequent, it seems like most of the guys switch songs on a pretty rapid basis, and don't ever play the whole song out.
    but, i'm pretty young (21) and the crowds that are my age like rapid transitions. especially the dnb and brostep crowds.

Tech Guru

I think it depends. I personally mix pretty quick. I usually try to keep a song playing a lot longer during early part of my set, cause mixing in and out quickly early on kinda ruins any groove your trying to start. As the night goes on and it feels right I start mixing in and out at my normal pace. Even when I let songs play out I usually only have maybe 16 - 32 beats of transition if I'm blending...I probably have ADD also...just sayin

depends on the genre. like the aggro dubstep(/brostep/whatever you wanna call it) doesn't suit long mixes at all. well occasionally, but not usually.

I personally feel that most DJs mix for too long usually anyways. I swear at some clubs you hear a 4x4 kick throughout the WHOLE NIGHT. boooooring. let the breakdowns breathe and let the people breathe.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kilen View Post
    it depends on the guy dj'ing, and the type of music he's playing.

at the clubs i frequent, it seems like most of the guys switch songs on a pretty rapid basis, and don't ever play the whole song out.
    but, i'm pretty young (21) and the crowds that are my age like rapid transitions. especially the dnb and brostep crowds.
    Pretty different for me, the dnb scene here ive found people tend to let a track play and do long blends, dubstep depends; if its more low end almost idm style, i find a lot of people do long mixes, if its the heavier side of dubstep it tends to be a 2 bar intro overlayed then just slam the drop of the next track, works well with the "shock tactics" style of music that brostep is anyway.