Do I need to know hip-hop?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Do I need to know hip-hop?

A good friend of mine (a dj) told me today that since I'm just getting started, and want to (ultimately) be a club dj, I have to learn to play hip-hop, because so much club music is remixed top 40 and top 40 is (often) rap/hip hop/r&b.

Any truth to this? I never much cared for "urban" music, and love EDM (and some downtempo stuff) - to be SUCCESSFUL do I need to bend over a little bit here?

(If it makes a difference, I am currently living in the Philadelphia area)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

If you want to play in a top 40 "club-style" environment, then yes, you should have a knowledge of popular hip hop / rap (if you can even call it that anymore, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by LmnLm3 View Post
    A good friend of mine (a dj) told me today that since I'm just getting started, and want to (ultimately) be a club dj, I have to learn to play hip-hop, because so much club music is remixed top 40 and top 40 is (often) rap/hip hop/r&b.

Any truth to this? I never much cared for "urban" music, and love EDM (and some downtempo stuff) - to be SUCCESSFUL do I need to bend over a little bit here?

(If it makes a difference, I am currently living in the Philadelphia area)
    it depends entirely on the crowd you have and where your playing. if your playing in a club where people absolutlely love the edm scene, theres not much reason to play hip hop, and vice versa. if your playing in an enviorment where its 50/50 then of course you should know some good tracks. if you don't have much of an ear for hip hop (like me) you can just go and look at the billboard top 100, and there are lots of blogs for new up and coming hip hop tracks as well.

Tech Mentor

I loved hip hop back in the 90s, like east coast/BadBoys type stuff, but I guess the issue is that I don't quite have the "producer's ear" for hip hop (I compose EDM and classical music mostly, just getting into DJing from a producer's background to get to play some original music out haha)

I would like to get the most opportunities, though - I am investing time (and money) into this as a career choice more than a hobby - not that I don't love it! I just am that starving artist type, I suppose.

Just got offered an MC gig for a wedding in september. It's a start! (never done that before, but plenty of public speaking experience, and no stage fright whatsoever after a decade of performing on stage as a cellist)

So I guess I'll watch the billboard site for hip hop, or anything that I would immediately change the radio station if it came on (adell, rihana, etc)
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

Yes make sure you get 90's hiphop classics, you will get a good reaction with these
    Traktor Z2, Denon SC3900(2), Kontrol F1, MidiFighter3D, HDJ-2000, Mixed in Key, Platinum Notes, Jack and Coke. (Previously- Rane 68, Traktor DJM-t1, Pioneer DJM-800, CDJ-2000s (2), Traktor S4, Stanton 150s)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by rsciangula View Post
    Yes make sure you get 90's hiphop classics, you will get a good reaction with these
    honestly can't tell if that was genuine, or utterly sarcastic...

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Tech Wizard

I was being serious (lol), in general as a dj you should have a well rounded library of top songs from many different genres. Most of my songs in my HYPE playlist are classic hiphop songs.
    Traktor Z2, Denon SC3900(2), Kontrol F1, MidiFighter3D, HDJ-2000, Mixed in Key, Platinum Notes, Jack and Coke. (Previously- Rane 68, Traktor DJM-t1, Pioneer DJM-800, CDJ-2000s (2), Traktor S4, Stanton 150s)

as other people said before me, it really does depend on your crowd. I used to be like you, only wanting to play edm music. For me I had to adapt and be more versatile if I wanted to dj at places that were "higher classed" clubs.

You have to accommodate to everyone if your in a top 40 bar/club or you will end up killing the crowd every time you dj.

Tech Mentor

I guess I can learn some dj'ing skills with some old Puff Daddy & BIG, etc and then transfer that process and finesse, flow, and groove on to new music.

Though I must admit I have a soft spot for the hybrid Felix Da Housecat (anyone have his Past...Present...Future... album? Promo from some magazine back in the day. Track 1 Jack U feat. P.Diddy rocks me the f out. I don't think jack music is still in style enough to play a lot of it in a set, though!)

YouTube
    SoundCloud

just play what you like to play and market yourself at clubs that play the music that you like, no need to play crap you dont want to unless you need the money really bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast