Producer wanting to get into djing
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Producer wanting to get into djing

Currently I'm a bit of an on the side Ableton producer making some songs here and there. I don't really have any hardware short of a very basic MIDI keyboard. (on board soundcard)

What would be something of a minimum amount of money to get myself running something that can do simple 2 deck stuff, but also let me get into some real controllerism on something like Tracktor and maybe let me run my ableton sets into it as well? What are some suggestions? Ideally, I'd love some expandability and futureproofing, but if the price is right, it wont matter to me.

Thank you,
    Drox

Apc40.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

Quote Originally Posted by m00n View Post
    Apc40.
    Forgot to mention I was planning on a Laucnhpad for Ableton control. Regardless, I was wanting something for some more controllerist stuff.

I use a midi keyboard to dj in traktor..

apc40 with ableton, If your already producing your own stuff.

Ableton is flat-out more powerful than Traktor, and it's perfectly capable of playing full tracks. It's looping is a bit more obtuse, but it can be done (you have to hit in & out points as opposed to choosing a length, but they are quantized…or at least can be). Other than that, I think it just wins…especially if you already know it well.

Depends on what you mean by powerful. Ableton can do more and is more versatile, but when it comes to workflow and DJing full tracks I find it incredibly lacking and a huge pain.

If you just want to play your own stuff then it's a different story.

Are there any options that get me something a bit more traditional in the realm of EQ, jogwheels, mixer, etc? Sure I may end up doing personal tracks with a set or otherwise, but that so far seems more like any tracks I'd have would either be exported as a full track, or I'd route an Ableton Set into Traktor with Virtual Audio Cable so the more "dj" style interface and effect system kind of encapsulates the Live Set.

Tech Mentor

You can just do a set IN ABLETON without using a "dj" program - daft punk does this, and afaik Skrillexxxxx (sp?) uses it too.

If you want to do DJing as a SEPARATE THING from your production, then yeah, traktor is good stuff, and I personally set up my LaunchPad (along with a korg nanoKontrol) to use traktor. So if you have buttons, faders, and some knobs, you can set it up for DJ use. I'm considering getting an APC40 just for traktor (I'm in the same boat as you, except I use Reason for production, not Live) and it's been done before.

Check out youtube for Traktor Mapping and odd things come up if you search through - lots of LP things (iirc the original MidiFighter givaway winner was a set done in traktor on a LaunchPad, and that's a wicked video with a tribe called quest vocals and other stuff- sorry I dont' remember who it was - someone correct me?)

If you want it set up like a DJ controller and you're looking at all in ones (a la S2, S4, Vestax VCI, etc etc) then you can't reallly talk about expandability unless you are talking about getting an S4 and eventually adding TTs and doing a time coded vinyl (traktor scratch pro?) thing.

Just my 2 pence!
    If you feel something is limiting your creativity, the real problem is that you feel that your creativity can be limited.

YouTube
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Depends on what you mean by powerful. Ableton can do more and is more versatile, but when it comes to workflow and DJing full tracks I find it incredibly lacking and a huge pain.

If you just want to play your own stuff then it's a different story.
    Having done it, I have really mixed feelings. Traktor was more straightforward, and I liked the limitations it imposed when I switched to it fro Live. But I was also trying to shoehorn my VCM-600 into how I wanted to use Live and pretending it was a Maven…instead of adapting what I wanted to controllers that were actually on the market.

But after going back to TTs and SSL, if I were going to go all-controller, it'd either be a stop-gap "whatever" solution for house parties or it'd be controlling Live.

Quote Originally Posted by droxpopuli View Post
    Are there any options that get me something a bit more traditional in the realm of EQ, jogwheels, mixer, etc?
    Yeah. The NI S2 or S4 are good choices if you want to go with a controller. They kind of win for "awesome" and "cheap".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast