Using iPad in clubs!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Using iPad in clubs!

For a quick background information I’m a hit hop dj I’ve been playing for approx.. 6 months. I have yet to get my own equipment though. About a year ago my friend bought an S4 and that’s what I’ve been using/messing/practicing with. But now I want to quit being a mooch and get my own equipment so I can begin to get into the club DJing scene and out of the college/frat parties scene lol.

With the upcoming release of the iPad 3 (should be in the next week) + the Lemur iPad app it seems like a viable option. Now my style doesn’t have very much scratching in it just little chirps to introduce new songs etc. This is sort of what I had in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5K-0GcA5pw

I rely more on efx, loops, etc. I just have a few questions that I cant seem to find the answers too. Also something I noticed was that if you were to say bring a Lemur into a club you'd be looked at like a beast, but for some reason if you bring an iPad or controller they look at u like your not a real DJ?

I want to use TP2 because that’s what im comfortable with but I’ve never really seen Lemur run with TP2 only with programs like Logic, Reason, etc. Would TouchOSC be a better option?
    I also am into production with apps like Beatmaker 2 and Alchemy Synth Mobile anyone ever used any of these and have any personal stories or suggestions?
    Last would I need to buy something like the Alesis IO dock to hook my iPad up to a mixer / use my headphones etc?

Sorry if these questions are super dumb but I’m really new to setting everything up myself etc.
    Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

A few users on here i know run Lemur for TP2, Padi in particular, im sure he mentioned there are presets on it for traktor but you can build your own if you like
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

I used to use TouchOSC before switching to lemur on ipad2.

Lemur is easy to set up and run and can edit templates in real time while using tsp2 or ableton etc... and it can all so be really in depth and crazy so it has something for everyone and is worth the money hands down.

And no you dont need that dock,just set up a ad-hoc netowrk or run it wired with the ipad camera kit if you dont want to go wireless i use it both ways and never had any problems.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Don't use cramped designs like the one in that vid, it just won't work unless you are mixing REALLY calm. Since you can't let your hands rest on the device without activating it, you need some space to move around comfortably.

I didn't mention there are Traktor presets (there are but just a handful compared to TouchOSC) .

Both apps are really good options and will work with any soft that can take midi, Lemur is worth the extra bucks if you are planning on learning about scripting and the likes of it.

Just out of interest: why not just buy a controller?
    You may get more control for an even lower price...
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Tech Guru

Because controllers doesnt give you the versatility that a customizable touch interface can gives.
    You dont need an ipad3 to use it, search a cheap used ipad1 16gb wifi only, you will be using it at clubs, better stay cheap to loose less in case of something going wrong right?

I used TouchOSC for 6 months then leaved it for Lemur and I'm really happy with it. The Editor interface is way better and it updates online with your changes at the software. It has more options implemented for bizarre customizations.
    The cons of it is that there is not so much mappings around for traktor, but the pro is that you will be forced to make your own, if you had never done an interface it can be a good thing to you as a Digital DJ new skill.

My setup is an iPad1 16gb wifi with Lemur plus Traktor Kontrol x1
    I use the default mapping of x1 and the lemur for my mixer, it only have 8 vertical faders (6 EQ 2 Volume) and one horizontal fader (filter) plus some buttons for kill EQ ranges and a central part for monitoring volume/cue, it has bigger controlls for my drunk mixing house parties.

When using iPad, less is more... This Jog On video was for TouchOSC, it can be good if you want to have a backup if some part of your gear fails you, but I don't recommend it if you want to really make a show for your crowd, you will look at your iPad all night long to make sure you are not hiting the wrong virtual button :P

Tech Mentor

Well my current setup is an iPad 2 running lemur controlling my smart mixer in ableton and 2x MF classics running traktor, and so far: It's by far the most coolest and portable setup iv'e ever had!

To give some inspiration: Justice, Daft Punk, Deadmau5 and Steve Duda are lemur users plus: here is a cool clip showing how Duda uses his lemur in live performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1L-74MaL38

PS: When choosing a case, take a look at the Griffin Survivor case (not sure the iPad 3 will fit in the iPad 2 version though...)
    Last edited by Lilja; 03-05-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Sublim&All View Post
    Just out of interest: why not just buy a controller?
    You may get more control for an even lower price...
    I like the idea of making a completely customizable interface thats unique and made to my liking. Also I have a big interest in making instrumentals on apps like beatmaker 2 etc. Third I'm a college student and being able to also use the ipad to download book, take notes in class, etc is very appealing to me..

Tech Wizard

any other thoughts?

ipad 3 came out today with a much better chip and resolution.. might make scratching a possibility.. or "better" scratching?

Tech Wizard

bump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast