The low-down of speakers
    Tech Mentor

Default The low-down of speakers

Okay so thanks to that project x movie, a lot of people in my grade want me to dj at their parties this coming spring and summer

I'm on my way to getting a soundcard but I really need a pair of speakers I can lug around. Everyone is pretty much 18 and the parties only get to about 50 people but I would want speakers that could handle college frat parties for next year so maybe capable of 100 to 150 to 200 people. If I could add on/easily upgrade a system to be able to handle these numbers that'd be awesome but 50-75 people is all I need right now.

I know the difference between passive and active speakers but I'm not sure which I would want for house parties that are easily portable.

I would like to not have to spend too much on speakers, like around $400 but anything in the $200-$300 range would be awesome, not sure if that's realistic though but it shouldn't be too expensive for just 50-75 people, right?

A lot of people from where I live like rap music that has too much bass in my opinion, think tyga, lil wayne, torey langez, etc. even though house and its subgenres are my favorite type of music I'm willing to play out of genre. So the speakers should be able to handle bass pretty well for this type of music.

Where is the best place to look for good deals on quality speakers? Craigslist? 123dj? Planetdj? KPODJ? Not really sure where to start so some pointers would be great, thanks much.

Tech Mentor

With that budget I'd look on craigslist and don't set your hopes too high, that much cash doesn't buy much/good sound.

Tech Guru

Just to give you some perspective on budgets....

For about $1000 out the door, you can get a new B52 Matrix 1000v2 system. That will have a sub, two tops, and you can add all the cables & speaker stands for that. This system is active, and all the necessary processing is included. That will handle events for 150.

Also new, you could look at "full range" tops like the RFC 312A's. These are about $350 each, and a pair with all cables and stands will be about $900. These will more than handle beginning parties, but without a dedicated sub don't expect miracles from the bass. It would be possible to add an active sub to this system when the funds allow. Plan on $500-ish for a decent entry level 15" powered sub.

I always prefer to buy passive if I have to buy used. There is a LOT less that can go wrong. A pair of Yamaha S115's should be easy to find in any market...these will be about $350 to $400 for the pair. Add in a used QSC or Crown or Behringer EP amp for about $150. Cables and stands will be another $150-ish...but may be included. This is a really common starting setup for bands, and can be had for cheap when the band breaks up. Shop eBay and look for auctions that are within 50 miles of your house. Even with this approach, the budget will need to be $600 to 800.

You could "get by" with systems like the Fender Passport 150 ($350), or Behringer EPA150 ($300). These would be "good enough" for 50 people...but will not handle frat parties. I have setup and used both systems, and they are reasonable in terms of sound...not great...but good enough. Both systems roll off aggressively below 70Hz. These are very portable, and are great vocal PA systems that will have some music played through them. I have used these systems for wedding ceremonies, and as a portable setup for teaching dance classes.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Mentor

$200-$300 won't get you anything, even used.

For under $500, even, about the best you can hope for is a used pair of Dual 15's like the Peavey PV 215's and an amp that does at least 400 watts a side.

Either that, or just check craigslist every day and hope that a steal comes by. That's how I got my first college party system

Alright man, I was in the same boat honestly about a 3 months ago. If you want a really solid pair of starter speakers, get a pair of 12" or 15" Alto's from Guitar Center, use a coupon, with 2 speaker stands, it'll be roughly $700. They put out really good sound, solid bass, and are powered, so you don't need an amp. If you're serious you'll make the investment. I did, and I have like $5000 worth of parties coming up, with more possible on the way.

Don't half ass it, that's the biggest mistake you can make.

Those crappy speakers for $500 or less for the pair aren't going to last you long and you'll have to replace them anyways. So, get a solid pair, like the Alto's, make some cash, and make the upgrade to some QSC's (or something comparable).

DJing isn't a cheap business to go into. With a good controller costing $500-$1000+, speakers running at least $700, lights around $1000+, then cables, portable truss, etc, you're looking to invest about $3000. It's a business where you have to spend money to make money.

There's a difference than being the friend with some DJ gear, than being the friend who can turn a little rager into a "Project X" party.

Tech Mentor

thanks for the replies guys, I think I'm gonna wait it out until I make more money so I can put forth a solid investment, hopefully at the end of the summer or some holiday when guitar center has a big sale.

But I didn't mean that I would dj a project x type party, just everyone at my school liked the music in there, and thought it would be awesome to have a dj at a party. And I'm the only dj at our school so it works to my favor. I'll check back with this thread to post setups I have my eye on or what have you. Thanks again