Advice on my next purchase!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Advice on my next purchase!

I am fairly new to Djing and have been mixing for a few months with the ION Discover DJ and VDJ. I currently plan on going for the Traktor Kontrol S2.

-On sale for $400
    -Comes with the traktor pro 2 program
    -Finally able to cue up the next track with headphones

Would this be a good investment for the meantime to see how serious i am about this whole DJ career.

I would also enjoy producing house tracks, is there any recommendation on any equipment that would help with producing?

Ableton+launchpad=win in my book. Or APC40 if you wanna get serious. But good call on the S2

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Otacon View Post
    Ableton+launchpad=win in my book. Or APC40 if you wanna get serious. But good call on the S2
    do people use the apc40 for producing? i am also looking to producing house tracks..got big goals man lol.

Tech Mentor

This all really depends on your budget but,if you want to produce (with ableton in this case) and DJ, you should get an APC40, use the limited edition of ableton that comes with it, then buy live if it's for you. You'll be able to learn the basics of producing and djing with that setup, but you can't cue up your tracks with jogs, so your mixes will require some pre setup. Plus, if it's not for you, there's usually always a market for used APC40's. Also, if you're producing you'll probably want a midi keyboard.
    Just my $0.02
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Zhao View Post
    This all really depends on your budget but,if you want to produce (with ableton in this case) and DJ, you should get an APC40, use the limited edition of ableton that comes with it, then buy live if it's for you. You'll be able to learn the basics of producing and djing with that setup, but you can't cue up your tracks with jogs, so your mixes will require some pre setup. Plus, if it's not for you, there's usually always a market for used APC40's. Also, if you're producing you'll probably want a midi keyboard.
    Just my $0.02
    would love to produce as well. However i enjoy using jogwheels and the feel of a midi controller. Do most musicians use midi keyboards as well?

I recommend the APC40 over Launchpad any day.

I use the APC40 to produce as well. I also have keys and pads.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    I recommend the APC40 over Launchpad any day.

I use the APC40 to produce as well. I also have keys and pads.
    hows logic?

Logic works really well, but I use Ableton Live for almost everything as far as producing and performing live goes. One exception is that I use Sibelius to score (musically notate) as Live does not support that.

Honestly, Logic is a great production tool but redundant if using Live and Pro Tools.

Tech Wizard

i definitively want to DJ & Produce, the programs for producing aren't cheap at all either lol. Does the midi keyboards and other instruments help with producing House tracks like Swedish house mafia, avicii, etc.?

Yes, keyboards are pretty much indespensible (IMO) whenever producing/composing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast