Tip on resampling within ableton

Default Tip on resampling within ableton

Thought I'd share a simple yet effective way of resampling within ableton, without the need to export or do real-time recording.

I have this drumloop, a few bars, that I'm going to do some processing on.

I'm pitching it up +7 semitones, giving me some nice stretchy textures

I'm also doing some distortion, and EQing, just to enhance some qualities I heard in the textures the pitching gave me

I'm going to want to continue time stretch this, but I want to time stretch the file we'd get if we exported this. But instead of exporting it, and then importing it to the project again, we're going to flatten it.

First we duplicate the channel we've been working on

Then we're going to freeze the track, which is a way for Ableton to temporarily render a track in order to save up CPU

Immediately after this we will flatten the track. This is going to remove all the devices we had in the chain, and exchange our frozen audio with the audio we'd get if we would've exported!.

And here we are, an audio file containing all the signal processing we've applied, ready for further manipulation!

Last edited by Warwolt; 03-07-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

great tip thank you
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Whats the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to creating a new audio track, setting the "Audio In" to "Resampling", hitting record and playing what you want sampled? That way you still have your original track with all it's devices and a new audio only version..... for further manipulation
    TSP 2.6.1 | 2 x CDJ 2000 Nexus | 2 x Technics 1210 MK5 | Denon DNX-1600 | Behringer DDM4000 w/Infinium X1 | MBP | A&H Xone K2 | Akai APC 40 & MPK 25 | Novation Launchpad | Pioneer HDJ 2000 & 500 | Audio 8 DJ | Ableton Live 9

http://www.mixcloud.com/lineypirate/http://www.soundcloud.com/lineypirate/

wow i was always wondering why i have to change inputs/outputs and all and record all my samples while all i had to do was freeze and flatten! thanks alot

i'd like to hear the original drumloop and the final sample btw!
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Instead of flattening it's a better practice to just drag the clip to a new track and muting the frozen track, that way you can always step back by just unfreezing the original track.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineypirate View Post
    Whats the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to creating a new audio track, setting the "Audio In" to "Resampling", hitting record and playing what you want sampled? That way you still have your original track with all it's devices and a new audio only version..... for further manipulation
    I would duplicate the track I want to turn into audio, so I have the original track and the "flatten track". If I flatten a 7 minute long track, say because I want to pitch it up to

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Instead of flattening it's a better practice to just drag the clip to a new track and muting the frozen track, that way you can always step back by just unfreezing the original track.
    Well, I just feel it takes such an awfull long time when I have, say, 20+ different clips and sections total in a track, to drag and copy. Thats why I just copy the entire track, so I have the original and one I freeze/flatten. But I agree, its very important to keep the original, especially since you might have even more information inside the clips in the original than you actually used in the song you were making (for instance, you might have a 8-bar loop you just used a 1-bar snippet from, if you keep the original you can always use the other 7 bars when you want to construct new parts for the song)