Monitor Question

Default Monitor Question

I've recently decided that i do, at some point, need to upgrade my speaker system, however the only way i'm going to be able to afford to do it is if i buy a simple 2.1 surround-sound system, or buy one monitor, then another in a few months. the speaker i am using now is really on its last legs as the little female jack you plug the power cable into is very unreliable!

Ono a budget…any computer speakers work. I don't think there's any reason to go haflway on monitors……that being said, doing studio monitors for a DJ booth right doesn't cost too much……a grand is plenty.

a grand is way over my budget, i saw a cheap 2.1 system thats supposed to be really good for 76 quid, and as i produce and master in headphones due to my room being an extremely funny shape i dont want to drop a lot on monitors, would that system be fine for the purpose, do you think?

No. But the room is the most important part if you're talking about speakers for mixing & mastering. Get that sorted first and keep doing what you're doing.

If I were in your position, though, I might just see if I can fix that power jack. A friend on a forum gave me my first set of budget studio monitors. They were better than my 2.1 system, but not by much. My KRKs have lasted years. I'm not really sure what the point of going cheaper than that is, and I really don't see the point of only having 1 speaker.

no this is more just for listening to my mixes when DJing, not for mixing and mastering as i use my KRK headphones for that. What i've been using for ages is a simple iPod dock, which has the faulty jack. I dont think there is any way that my room could be treated properly for audio, as it is an attic so it has a slanted roof, and has several little alcoves, but these speakers are simply for listening to my DJ mixes while i mix. I do have access to a good set of KRK's for when I'm mixing also, for spatial mixing as headphones, no matter how good, really dont cut the mustard when it comes down to that.

The slanted roof could actually make it better. Alcoves…depends on what you mean.

If you're on a budget, I'd just get the cheapest 2.1 system you can and save up for RP5s.

The landing from my stairs cuts into the rectangle of the room plan and basically makes it have two 'prongs' on either side. my DJ set up is in one prong, my production desk is in the 'normal' end of the room