Universalizing The DJ Booth

Default Universalizing The DJ Booth

So a community/college radio station in Chicago WNUR asked me to redesign their DJ boot to allow for greater flexibility, specifically Traktor integration. I wish more clubs would be this accommodating.

Below is how I am planning on achieving this. I'll post before and after photographs shortly.

This is accomplished with one Magma Switchbox V2 and four generic RCA switches they already had. Now the guys who like to rock out with Torq and Ms. Pinky can bring in their equipment and those of us in love with Traktor don't have to pull our hair out working with Serato.

Anyway any thoughts on this setup? More specifically, what are the faults?

CoffinDiagram.v5.jpg
    BIG PICTURE
    PDF DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by spencer4hire; 03-09-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Picture didn't link.

Tech Mentor

what's your budget? Could you invest on certified 4 channel mixer?

Tech Guru

Looks like you've covered all bases... I bet you had a blast coming up with this!

How about a Xone DB4?

The only problem i could forsee is that some djs use more than 2 decks, so the switchbox might need to be re-routed. I like hrtbrkd's idea of a traktor certified mixer/ rane 64, that would get rid of the switchbox all together and each dvs could be used with more than 2 decks

The station is loaded but getting them to invest money requires board approval and they are all cheap asses. I wasn't given a budget but was told to make it as cost effective as possible. Getting them to spend money on equipment that doesn't "need" replacing is going to be next to impossible.

The Serato SL1 only has two channels so that box wont be an issue and the Traktor 10 will be plugged into all four channels. A and B will route through the Switchbox while C and D will be going through a pair of switches and then into the DJM800. Do you see an issue with C & D not being appropriately covered?
    Last edited by spencer4hire; 03-09-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Emphasis added.

Dude, wouldn't a DJM-900 and an SL-1 eliminate 90 percent of this stuff? You'd have Traktor built into the mixer, and could then spend some dough on a nicer soundcard for the Serato guys, although the more I think about it I don't know alot of three/four deck Serato DJs. But an intergrated mixer/soundcard setup seems like the way to go.

Forget all of that man just get a DJM-900 and an SL4 unless you really want to over complicate it for no reasons and make it unnecessarily confusing.

With a DJM900 you have a traktor certified mixer for traktor scratch pro, then an SL4 plugged into all 4 analog inputs with TT/CDJ plugged into the SL4, when the SL4 is not plugged into a computer then it switches to thru mode automatically and you could play vinyl/CDJs or use traktor scratch or whatever other DVS they want through the DJM900 soundcard.

Pioneer DJM-900NXS $1,679.93 + Rane SL4 $899.00 = $2578.93. That's a lot more than the $199 for the Switchbox and the minimal cost of the extra cables. When I submit this I will make a secondary proposal with those two products in the budget. I don't think it'll fly.

Also can you use Torq and other software like Ms. Pinky with the DJM900?
    Last edited by spencer4hire; 03-09-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Added a question...

Quote Originally Posted by spencer4hire View Post
    Pioneer DJM-900NXS $1,679.93 + Rane SL4 $899.00 = $2578.93. That's a lot more than the $199 for the Switchbox and the minimal cost of the extra cables. When I submit this I will make a secondary proposal with those two products in the budget. I don't think it'll fly.

Also can you use Torq and other software like Ms. Pinky with the DJM900?
    Oh I thought you said they were loaded and wanted to redo the whole thing.

Yes you can use ms pinky and torq with the 900 since it is not locked to specific soundcards.
    Last edited by Xonetacular; 03-10-2012 at 05:10 PM.