Control Surfaces - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Xone: Will you be using Ableton primarily? Congrats on 2,500 posts!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
    Hmmm well one can hope that the release of live 9 will come with a nice and shiny control surface. Idk maybe it's because people don't really see ableton as the "go to" solution for multi-tracking.
    who knows when that will ever happen if it will happen. I wouldn't hold my breath, I wonder if ableton will even be at musikmesse...

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Xone: Will you be using Ableton primarily? Congrats on 2,500 posts!
    Depends what ableton live 9 looks like, for some reason I doubt it is anywhere on the horizon so I'll probably switch to bitwig if it is as good as it looks. So I'll be on ableton for the near future until something changes.

I feel ya. I'm staying optimistic though. I've really enjoy ableton so I'm willing to hold out and even if they don't deliver, theres always bitwig. I've been interested in getting into ubuntu anyway so I wouldn't mind the convert.

I appreciate all the replies! Bot, the list you put up is awesome, thanks! And yep, Xone hit it on the head. I was actually looking at that exact piece of kit that was created for Pro Tools / Cubase, but one specifically designed for Ableton.

Sorry I wish I could go through and reply to everyone's post, but the stupid quote thing isn't working for me for some reason. But yes, I was looking for something along the lines Euphonix Artist Control.

I did think about the APC's, and Livid instruments controllers but I am not looking for a sequencer or anything of the sort (although maybe I should be).

I don't think that Ableton does any of the complex protocols...just MIDI.

My first stop would be to see if anyone has any videos of it working with the Mackie MCU Pro. If it works, they're cool units. And both Maschine and the Behringer BCF series use that protocol. It's also based on MIDI, so I think it probably has the best chance of working.

Second stop would be the Avid Artist line, though I might remember that it doesn't work at all...Ableton just doesn't speak their language iirc, though almost everything else does.

Third stop would be to switch to Logic, Pro Tools, or Cubase and get one of the above mentioned control surfaces. But, there's a reason that Ableton is considered great for live performance but basically doesn't show up in studios...it's just not that suited to tracking or mixing. It can do it, but unless the support has gotten a whole lot better, good control surfaces just aren't available. Hell even Reason works with a lot of the higher-end surfaces.

Fourth stop would be to get a Mixer. The A&H Zed R16 is pretty cool. Lots of FireWire IO and decent converters, good master section, and a good bit of MIDI control (transport, a few knobs, a few dedicated faders, an every channel fader if you want them to). The Presonus StudioLive series also look REALLY interesting, though both lack motorized faders. At least the Presonus ones do total recall. And it gives you really powerful channel strips and dedicated DSP that's probably on par with stock plugins.

Tech Guru

I use my Evolution UC-33E
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

the vestax vcm 600 might be up your alley.

2x A. Audio HTD 4.5 | Sony MDR 7506 | Xone:4D | Sony Vaio E i7 | 2x KRK 8 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Launchpad | NI Maschine | NI Komplete 8 | Ableton Live 9

Having owned one, I think it's basically worthless for production.

Why do you say that?

It's laid out weird. I guess if you built channel strips, you could do something, but there aren't enough knobs on each channel to do EQs, certainly not also dynamics. The return/master sections are worthless. Basically, it's just a set of faders…but there are only 12 of them, even using both banks. So, you've got 1 bank for drums, 1 bank for everything else, and no real control over anything except with the device control section, which is fine if everything you want to do can be wrapped in effect/instrument/drum racks……and if you use Ableton. If you use anything else, it's just have raw MIDI…and not enough of it.

If it had any intelligent way of switching what was being controlled, it'd be a little better.

Basically…it's made for Abelton DJing. It's good at that. But part of being good at that means sucking at basically everything else. People make it work with Traktor, but I think they're crazy. I can't imagine using it for DAW control.

Not when things like the Mackie MCU Pro (and other things that emulate the Mackie Control protocol, like the Behringer BCF stuff) exist and control however many channels and arbitrary plug-in control. More shifted functions, yes, but it has some shifted functions that give you quick access to things you need that the VCM just won't really have.

I don't like the Novation stuff very much. But even that would be better. The Remote Zero SL MK2 has scribble strips, at least, and costs less.
    Last edited by mostapha; 03-14-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast