Control Surfaces
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Control Surfaces

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking about picking up a control surface for Ableton. Any suggestions?

All the one's i've seen are designed specifically for like Cubase and Pro Tools and what not, I know I can map them, but I was wondering if there was one out there just for Ableton?

Thanks!

The APC40 and APC20 by AkaiPro are designed specifically for Ableton. APC stands for Ableton Performance Controller. I believe the Novation Launchpad is also intended for Ableton use.

Here is a full list of controllers that are natively-supported by Ableton:
    http://www.ableton.com/pages/control...ll_controllers

Tech Mentor

Behringer is coming out with their new modular line soon which includes a 8x4 grid for launching clips that you may want to check out. Although it may not be out for a while, so you may not want to wait.
    Have a look: http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/CMD-LC-1.aspx
    mk128, maschine, oxygen25, firewire 410, ableton suite 8

If you have the cash I'd say check out some of the Livid products.. You might be able to get a second hand Ohm for a decent price.
    MBP -- TP2 -- Live -- Logic -- OhmStudio
    Kronos -- Max49 -- Tiptop Happy Ending Kit -- Couple modules & growing..

What do you want to use it for? Multi-tracking? How many channels would you need control over at once? I've been thinking of doing the apc-80 mod for recording local bands. I never really need more than 14 channels but I like the idea of having all the controls in front of me at once. It's been the closest thing to an ideal ableton control surface that I've seen so far. Although those giant livid systems are damn sexy

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

APC40 all the way - built to last, and its integration is ridiculously tight out of the box, even moreso with some creative mapping and M4L

I think you guys are not understanding what he's looking for. The APC40 is fine for live use like what it is designed for but I don't consider it a good studio piece at all. Way too bulky, faders are not great for precision mixing or studio style, I don't want that awkward clip matrix that gets in the way if you just want to mix, and it is just not ideal as a studio mixer piece.

The avid controllers and controllers for cubase are pretty cool and are meant for the studio and mixing. I would like to see something like that for ableton that offers good DAW control of the mixer. I'll be looking for something like this soon I'm sure.

This is a proper control surface (avid/ pro tools)

Last edited by Xonetacular; 03-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    I think you guys are not understanding what he's looking for. The APC40 is fine for live use like what it is designed for but I don't consider it a good studio piece at all. Way too bulky, faders are not great for precision mixing or studio style, I don't want that awkward clip matrix that gets in the way if you just want to mix, and it is just not ideal as a studio mixer piece.

The avid controllers and controllers for cubase are pretty cool and are meant for the studio and mixing. I would like to see something like that for ableton that offers good DAW control of the mixer. I'll be looking for something like this soon I'm sure.

This is a proper control surface (avid/ pro tools)

Thats exactly what I was asking him. I understand the apc 40 isn't the most conventional control surface for multi tracking but he IS using ableton. I'm sure he already knows about the apc series. Just waiting for his response on his needs. Does he just want the more traditional mixer layout or does he plan on using ableton the way only ableton can work? BTW livid has been suggested already but does anyone know of any other control surfaces of the same nature?

Yeah I'm not sure. Sometime in the near future I will probably be looking for something similar- not really at that point yet though.

Hmmm well one can hope that the release of live 9 will come with a nice and shiny control surface. Idk maybe it's because people don't really see ableton as the "go to" solution for multi-tracking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast