How Do I Begin Mixing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default How Do I Begin Mixing?

I'm 15 and unemployed, and DJing is really interesting me. I've always loved electronic music whether that be House, Progressive House, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, or even Hardstyle Techno.

So, how should I start?

First step....gets money by finding yourself a job
    A&H Xone DB4 l (2) Traktor Kontrol X1 MK2 l Maschine MK2 l Traktor Scratch Pro l Ableton
    Avalon (Hollywood) l Exchange LA (Los Angeles) l DS#ARP LA (Los Angeles) l Undercurrent (San Diego) l Frenzy Afterhours (Los Angeles) l AL Party (Los Angeles) l Spin (San Diego) l Sutra (Orange County) l Monarch (San Francisco)

Read the FAQ
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by epikeddie View Post
    First step....gets money by finding yourself a job
    Okay, then what?

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Read the FAQ
    Oops, sorry about that..

Quote Originally Posted by LikeACheeseStick View Post
    I'm 15 and unemployed, and DJing is really interesting me. I've always loved electronic music whether that be House, Progressive House, Dubstep, Drum and Bass, or even Hardstyle Techno.

So, how should I start?
    Start by buying one of these
    Almondcream_artisan_mixer.jpg

If short on cash then one of these will do.
    whisk.jpg
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Man…you guys are dicks.

On zero budget…I assume you have a computer, some kind of speakers (computer speakers work) and some kind of headphones (anything works…good starts at $100). If that's the direction you want to go, my suggestion is to buy an NI Audio 2. It comes with Traktor LE and lets you run different audio to your speakers and headphones, which is kind of the important part of DJing. Learn/play with the mouse, and if you like it…start saving.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Man…you guys are dicks.

On zero budget…I assume you have a computer, some kind of speakers (computer speakers work) and some kind of headphones (anything works…good starts at $100). If that's the direction you want to go, my suggestion is to buy an NI Audio 2. It comes with Traktor LE and lets you run different audio to your speakers and headphones, which is kind of the important part of DJing. Learn/play with the mouse, and if you like it…start saving.
    Well my post was being helpful imho
    With this he can blend and mix, though I would leave mashing those beets to the first mixer
    /人◕‿‿◕人\
    --Its not the OS, It's the user--

Nadastrom performs with SSL without timecode…it's possible to beat match with the computer keyboard (which I think Traktor LE will do)…or at any rate, Sync does work if you set your beat grids.

Tech Convert

The last thing you want to do is start buying expensive gear and later realize that DJ'ing is not for you.

However, if you think your parents can spare a couple hundred dollars for you, I'd suggest getting the Traktor Kontrol S2 and experiment with it. But I doubt any parent would want their child to get into DJ'ing because DJ'ing is associated with social experiences that are not viable for a 15 year old.

TIP: GET A JOB IF YOU WANT TO GET INTO DJ'ING!
    I wanted to get into DJ'ing when I was in high school but didn't want to spend my parent's money because they didn't want to support such a hobby/interest. So I started to teach high school and jr. high school students as a private tutor. Ultimately, it pooled in enough money for me to get my first pair of turntables and mixer.

You should start small and build your way up in regards to equipment since DJ hardware/software does not come cheap...unfortunately.

I suggest that you try Virtual DJ on your computer if cash is tight. It doesn't necessarily require you to have any equipment. Just a computer with the proper specifications and music that you want to play.
    This will help you understand the basics of DJ'ing.

Also, check out your local Guitar Center or music store to check out their DJ section. You can always go there and check out the equipment in person. You can also talk with the guys there about the equipment they have available. Play around and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast