Just about to upgrade mac os, any tips or problems to watch for?

Default Just about to upgrade mac os, any tips or problems to watch for?

Hey all

have always had my djing mac on OS 10.5.8, and i remember when 10.6 (snow lepoard) came out there were a few issues with it and Traktor 1, so didn't upgrade and have never bothered after that since everything in both TP1 and then TP2 has always worked fine.

However now that I have a new VCI-400, in order to use the firmware update application I need to make the jump. I'll have to at the very least get a box copy of snow leopard which I'll go buy now, and then once I have that I'll have the new mac app store so will also have the option of going to 10.7 (lion) as well.

Obviously I'll do a full back up before I do all this just in case, but any problems to watch out for or tips? I assume that any problems with 10.6 are long ironed out now in TP2 so it should be stable there, but what about 10.7 is it worth making the jump to that while I'm at it or are there any compatability problems?

K

I had no issues with 10.6, now on 10.7 and everything seems to be stable on mine
    MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GHZ i7. Kontrol S4. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5. MidiFighter Classic. Aiaiai TMA-1.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I've had every version of Traktor from ver1 and had every OS since Tiger and not had a single issue with the OS.

btw- Lecko, new HD in, Time Machine restore, took about 6 hours all in and its as sweet as a nut, Just had it playing on Cruise for 6 hours. Brilliant. Just gotta get rid of all the extra weight i dont need on this machine, photos etc ;-)

hey

yep all seems good, rather than my original plan of snow lepoard first then lion, when i went to the apple store ended up just getting a usb copy of lion and doing a wipe and clean install from scratch. Backups of iTunes Library and Traktor Library seems to have loaded back up without any issues, and a little messing about last night didnt seem to reveal any problems.

Am extra busy with sound engineering gigs and day job over the next few days but will have a longer play on sunday and make sure all is ok.

k

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah the USB Recover of Lion is pretty handy . I grabbed that also.

New Macs from 2011 have Lion Recover on the actual Mac itself so as long as you format the HD you can install Lion without having the disc image or even the Recovery USB.

Only thing that's kind of fucked up in Lion, is that they sort of blocked SMB sharing. This can be particularly annoying when trying to stream stuff to an Apple TV or stuff.

For the rest all I can say is it's awesome :P
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal