Side Chain Compression Newbie Help?
    Tech Wizard

Default Side Chain Compression Newbie Help?

Hey guys,

So I've recently tried side-chaining 4 bars of chords in Ableton and used a hi-hat sample instead of a kick sample (saw a tutorial on it and the main idea was that hi-hats don't have a long tail) anyway after side-chaining it I noticed a short slightly inaudible *click* sound at the end which was then emphasized even more once I put a filter delay on it. My question is...how do I get rid of it? Also can you explain why it happened?

What I did was stick a compressor on an FM8 and clicked the "Side-Chain" box and got the pre fx audio from the 1 Bar hi-Hat sample.

Did I miss something? I know there are a couple of ways to do it but this is the one I attempted. Any advice/help would be appreciated. Also, if you have some good Side-Chain or Compressor tutorials feel free to post them in your reply.

Thanks!

It could be that your attack and release setting on the Compressor are set to fast. Abrupt volume changes can occasionally cause clicking, especially with audio that has lower frequencies and thus a more likely chance of cutting off in between "zero crossing" points of the waveform. Also you might want to try throwing a Utility before or after the Compressor and activating the DC filter to kill any ultra low inaudible frequencies that could possibly cause this sort of issue.

Aaron Zilch
    Ableton Certified Trainer
    Arcane Audio Solutions
    arcane (dot) a udio (dot) s (at) g mail

since you asked, I have to post my own tutorial I did, haha! :P

If you're using the compressor from Ableton, just switch it from Model FF2 to FF1. That should more than likely get rid of your "click" I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Croma View Post
    Hey guys,

So I've recently tried side-chaining 4 bars of chords in Ableton and used a hi-hat sample instead of a kick sample (saw a tutorial on it and the main idea was that hi-hats don't have a long tail)
    An easier way to do this, is setup your sidechain channel (muted from the master) and put a kick on it but shorten the decay.

As for the click play with the attack and release on the settings.