Is the Akai MPK61 Worth it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Is the Akai MPK61 Worth it?

Should I buy this keyboard? price is around 350-400

looks really good, wanted to know if anyone had personal experience with this keyboard?

and if the answer is not to get this, please say why or name a better keyboard! thanks!

Tech Mentor

would anyone happen to know?

I mean most MIDI keyboards are total crap. The Akai MPKs are significantly less crap than the oxygens and axioms but the keys still aren't great. Similar to the similarly priced novations. I'm not a keyboard player so the springy keys don't really bother me and it is fine for how I use it. The Novation SL MKIIs have a better keybed.

If you want better than that you might as well get a synth with proper keys- I hear the Waldorf Blofeld has a better keys than any midi controller for around the same price as some of them, plus you get a cool synth out of it.

Tech Mentor

when you say "if i want better than this, and you say to just buy a synth with proper keys" what exactly do you mean by synth?
    lol sorry, i havent bought one of these before thats why i wanted to know what was good and what wasn't good at all. But i no it is overpriced, but I cant find this anywhere for cheaper

Synth = synthesizer, I don't think you will have an issue with the MPK. If you don't play keyboard and are not looking for a nice weighted keybed then the MPKs are fine and better than the alternatives in that range.

Tech Mentor

ok sweet, yea i no how to play keyboard a little bit, but im just mostly looking at the mpk because it will help with melodies and the knobs and pads are a cool little add on, but 61 key is what im looking for cause i dont want anything lower than a 49 key or something (: thanks xone! you always help out man! kudos!

Tech Mentor

I'm not a keyboard player by any means, but it felt solid when I played around with one. On a side note, the pads are junk - they have to be pressed very firmly to engage. However, I believe this can be remedied with a simple mod, much like the one on the MPD beat pads.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sss18734 View Post
    I'm not a keyboard player by any means, but it felt solid when I played around with one. On a side note, the pads are junk - they have to be pressed very firmly to engage. However, I believe this can be remedied with a simple mod, much like the one on the MPD beat pads.
    yes i believe there is a sensitivity button or knob you twist or push to make them much better. i seen it on a youtube comment

If you don't play keys, just look for a controller with a good reputation for sturdiness on the pads/line levels/knobs. After that, just make sure that the layout seems to work for you in a fluid sense. What Xonetacular is getting at, is that serious keyboards/synths have weighted keys and have a certain "play" to them that can't be compared to on the typical lower end midi controller... or even some high end ones. Unless your planning on playing long melodies and really jamming out musically (actually playing it instead of just hitting buttons and single chords), weighted keys are more or less not needed.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    If you don't play keys, just look for a controller with a good reputation for sturdiness on the pads/line levels/knobs. After that, just make sure that the layout seems to work for you in a fluid sense. What Xonetacular is getting at, is that serious keyboards/synths have weighted keys and have a certain "play" to them that can't be compared to on the typical lower end midi controller... or even some high end ones. Unless your planning on playing long melodies and really jamming out musically (actually playing it instead of just hitting buttons and single chords), weighted keys are more or less not needed.
    i used to use a roland jv90 as my controller keyboard, must be dirt cheap 2nd hand now. 76 note, semi weighted keys. had a nice feel to it.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast